Idaho

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdkidaho

Hello!

So I was perusing my local Craigslist and I came across a lathe about a day or so after I had asked about various lathe types on another forum. The guy had it for sale as he was moving and didn't want to haul it with him. $110 later and it was mine.

Delta46-250_zpsqgfkeeag.jpg

I went to his house and as he was selling some other things out of his shop, other people showed up as well and so we didn't get to talk much about the lathe. I paid him, loaded it up and off I went. I've never owned one, never even touched one, but had an interest in giving turning a try. The next morning I woke up to an email from him, saying that if I wanted to bring it back over to his shop, that he would teach me to use it, so I took him up on his offer. I spent four hours with him - what an awesome, friendly, nice, generous guy he was to do that for me.

He helped me make two pens and a bottle stopper. I had a great time and now at least feel comfortable using the lathe rather than worrying about what might go wrong with no knowledge of how to use it.

FirstTurns_zpsboifmfr6.jpg

FirstPens_zpss16mrfib.jpg

FirstBottleStopper_zpsfw7roixc.jpg

They certainly aren't without flaws, I'm sure, but I had a great time making them with his help and watchful eye. I hadn't even considered making pens, but now have all the stuff needed, on the way, so that I can do so.

There are a lot of talented guys here on this site. I've enjoyed lurking and seeing all of your labors here.

Next on my list is a vacuum chamber to stabilize wood, and to make some molds to make my own blanks. This has quickly become somewhat expensive, but what is there that's fun and worthwhile that isn't to some degree? At least that's how I've justified it in my head.

Darby

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the group. I've had a couple of the delta lathes. The LA200 is a nice lathe to start with and atb$110, was a good deal. The pens and stopper turned out well.

magpens

Those are your first ?? You did GREAT !! You got a good deal on the lathe, especially if that stebcenter in the headstock was included .... that's a $50 item itself ! Very handy too.

Welcome to IAP !!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.
Nice score on the lathe & great work on your first turnings.
Be sure to hold onto those so you can look back at them a year from now.

For stabilizing chambers, be sure to check out TurnTex and Exotic Blanks.

sdkidaho

Thanks, everyone. Good to be here. I'm sure I'll lurk for a while before posting much as I don't know anything yet. :)

Top Bottom