I haven't even turned one single pen yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
But I'm getting ready to learn!!!

Hi all,
I was referred to this site by Towmater, whom I met over on Woodnet. He's local to me. I live just east of Kansas City, MO in Independence, the home of Harry Truman (well, not so much anymore, as he's dead:befuddled:). Towmater's told me few things about this forum... but I promise not to hold that against all of you guys.:rolleyes:

I have recently purchased a Jet 1014VS, G3 chuck, a couple excellent livecenters, about 200 penblanks of 40 varieties of wood, and have all the accessories on order now from a few highly recommended online sources.

I've also watched about 30 videos on beginning turning and read a few books that were suggested.

SOoooo, I'm almost ready to start turning my first slimline. The only obstacle in my way is to complete the bench/cabinet that will hold the lathe, blanks, accessories, etc... It should be completed within a couple weeks.

Between then and now, I think I'm gonna piddle around this site, gaze in envious wonder at some of your fine works, and inhale as much knowledge as I can...

Apparently I am as longwinded as I am eager to get started. I'll stop my yammering and just finish by saying;

Hi all!

Greg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Greg; You seem ready to start, but don't forget to make pens! :laugh:

The stand for the lathe can wait. I started with the lathe sitting on and attached to a piece of melamine covered MDF laid between two sawhorses.

I'd love to just yank that lathe out of the box and go, but I am actually building wall cabinets to get other tools out of the way so I have more room in the downstairs portion of the shop. The lathe will go into the freed up space. That area is good for working in year-round.

The upstairs portion of the shop is actually sharage space. It's a full bay of our two car garage. THat's where the big, loud tools are to keep them away from the kids' rooms. I don't want to wake them with the heavy metal.

I'm trying to be patient and get set up properly.

Wish me luck and speed!

spitfire

Welcome Greg.
Towmater also told me about this great place when I first started turning pens. I also came from Woodnet. I look forward to seeing your work.
Jason

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
But I'm getting ready to learn!!!

Hi all,
I was referred to this site by Towmater, whom I met over on Woodnet.

Greg

Greg,
You wanna be careful. We judge people by the company they keep!!:biggrin: Welcome to the IAP. We would be glad to have you and Todd both join our Southwest Missouri Local Chapter. Check out the local chapter forum if you are interested. When you do your first pen, be sure to hang on to it. There's only one first pen!:)

All, thanks for the warm welcome!

edman2,
Hi, Let's see if SW MO chapter wants me after they see the first pen I destroy, eh??? I have a brother and sister in law down there in Bolivar. Dave and Cindy Cole. He used to work for the Fire Dept. She works at St Johns Hosp (??). I'll coming down there in a month to see them and will swing by Grizzley in Springfield, too.

wdcav1952,
Yeah, I'll be watching, crying and bleeding right along with my Vikings. I grew up in norther MN. I don't think you have much to worry about as long as the Saints can get 10 points on the board.

Catch everyone later, hope you don't mind if I kibitz while I learn from you all!

Thanks,
Greg

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
All, thanks for the warm welcome!

edman2,
Hi, Let's see if SW MO chapter wants me after they see the first pen I destroy, eh??? I have a brother and sister in law down there in Bolivar. Dave and Cindy Cole. He used to work for the Fire Dept. She works at St Johns Hosp (??). I'll coming down there in a month to see them and will swing by Grizzley in Springfield, too.

Thanks,
Greg

Give me a shout when you get to Bolivar and we can talk pens. I'll pm you my phone number.

Wild Turkey

Welcome Greg,

Hello from Brookfield, Mo. North central part of the state. We are iverted from each other. I have a great little shop, but pen turning stuff I won't have until I retire in Jan 09.

Wild Turkey

Greg,
Take a lot of money with you if you go to Grizzly. Great store. Managed to get out with a orbital spindle sander last time I was there. Chiefs helmet? I understand they don't do anything to me either.

Greg,
Take a lot of money with you if you go to Grizzly. Great store. Managed to get out with a orbital spindle sander last time I was there. Chiefs helmet? I understand they don't do anything to me either.

I always take a roll with me to Grizz. Believe it or not, last time i was there, i left without buying even one tool. But I did buy $400 of drawer slides. Theirs are actually pretty smooth.

Greg

Top Bottom