I can't believe i did this to myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jheater

Good day to all. I too am new to pen turning, any turning for that matter. What an addictive hobby! With that said, I want to thank all the members of IAP for providing me so much information and advice. You've helped me to decide on a lathe, pen kits, venders, and how to's. However i too am having problems with out-of-round pens, not all the time however. I think it there are several variables. One is that the "points" line up. The further i move the tail stock away from the headstock, the point appears to be out of alignment to the rear, about half the diameter of a mandrel rod. I changed out mandrels three times, (wife loved going to work to support this endeavor). When i use the adjustable mandrel and turn one blank at a time the outcome is better. I also think for me, it depends on the blank material and rotational speed, i am not sure, i may be over thinking this, but its fun. I could write a book, but the important point for me here is that all of you fellows have assisted me more than you can know, and thank you all so much.

Jim H

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

If turning one blank at a time seems to solve the problem, you are likely having "mandrel whip" and I'd bet a buck it's due to using too much force when cutting the material, especially in the middle of the mandrel.

Try cutting your blanks, especially that last 1/8", very lightly.

Also, lay a long, thin screwdriver on the bushing in the middle to feel any vibration---- Should be running nearly perfectly smooth with no or nearly no vibration, only metal slipping under metal. IF YOU DO have vibration at this point, you may be tightening the knurled brass nut too much. Loosen it up and reset the positioning of the tailstock. DO NOT gronk the tailstock ram on to the mandrel-- use only enough pressure to make the live center spin happily.

Be sure you are using a 60-degree live center and not one that has a needly-looking tip.

Lastly, I have had MUCH MORE lasting power with the silver-colored pen mandrels from Woodcraft. If I buy the black ones, they seem to give out much quicker.

Just some thoughts that have helped me a LOT in the past.

igran7

After you mount the pen and the bushings on the mandrel, bring up your tail stock with only enough pressure so that the tail stock spins freely. Then you can tighten the knurl nut just tight enough to prevent the blank from slipping. By doing this you can eliminate the possibility of overtightening and eliminate the most common reason for "out of round" pens.

MuddyWater

Also, I learned this tipe from Lou, thanks Lou. When you are almost done turning your blank, stop the lathe and spin the blank 90 degrees on the bushings. The bushings need to remain stationary. Then start the lathe and finish turning your blanks to the bushings. This will help if you are turning blanks that are more oval shaped than round.

JohnU

Welcome Jim. I was going to offer my 2 cents, but it looks like its already been said. Looking forward to seeing some of your work. John

Top Bottom