Howdy from Oldsmar (where it's probably warmer than where you are...sorry!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

It's a chilly 64 degrees here in Oldsmar Florida and for the life of me I can't imagine how I didn't freeze to death when I lived in Buffalo New York forty years ago. I've had the ceramic heater running in my garage/shop for days now...how do you turn pens if you can't feel the tips of your fingers?

I've been turning pens for about 3 months now and each of the 12 pens I've made so far has been a fun time in the making with a prize at the end!

So read this if you have too much time on your hands, it's how I got into turning. Last November I retired after paying my dues for 38 years managing a water testing laboratory for the County. A few months before retiring I bought a potters wheel and took some throwing lessons with the plan of being a potter when I retired. At my retirement party I linked up with my old boss of 30 years and he invited me to go the archery range with him and try his compound bow. I hadn't shot a bow in 45 years and we had a great time. During lunch afterwards I asked him what else he was doing to keep himself entertained during retirement and he said he just bought a knife blank and was going to try knife making. I asked him to order me one too and in the process of making that first knife decided that I needed a drill press to drill the pin holes and a bandsaw to cut the blanks and a belt sander to sand the blanks and some drum sanders for the drill press to sand the handle contours...and then I needed a new bench for all my new tools, so I had to get a table saw to make the bench and part of that bench had to have a built in router (because a lot of the workbench designs had one...surely a router would come in handy for something) and a bench polisher to polish my knives. I won't even mention all the leather working tools needed to make sheaths. So having all those woodworking tools I decided to take a wood working class at the local community college where I met Rick who offered to give me a lesson making pens. I haven't touched my potters wheel yet! ;o)

Attachments

• SA Hidden Tang Knife.jpg
    SA Hidden Tang Knife.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 155
  • Blue Corn Cob Pen 2.jpg
    Blue Corn Cob Pen 2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Good job on both of your posted projects.

Post more and if you have any questions, just ask. Someone here always has the answer.

Be sure to enter a new pen in the Bash next week. You could be one the the Few, the Proud.......no no no no........that is another well know group.
You could win one of the great prizes in the IAP 2016 Bash. Entry is free. Just follow the rules and watch the fun.

Welcome to the IAP

jsolie

Welcome from Southern California! Just wait until you turn your first bowl... like the potter's wheel, but with subtraction. And sideways. And no do-overs...only design opportunities!

Brian Frank

It's a chilly 64 degrees here in Oldsmar Florida and for the life of me I can't imagine how I didn't freeze to death when I lived in Buffalo New York forty years ago. I've had the ceramic heater running in my garage/shop for days now...how do you turn pens if you can't feel the tips of your fingers?

I've been turning pens for about 3 months now and each of the 12 pens I've made so far has been a fun time in the making with a prize at the end!

So read this if you have too much time on your hands, it's how I got into turning. Last November I retired after paying my dues for 38 years managing a water testing laboratory for the County. A few months before retiring I bought a potters wheel and took some throwing lessons with the plan of being a potter when I retired. At my retirement party I linked up with my old boss of 30 years and he invited me to go the archery range with him and try his compound bow. I hadn't shot a bow in 45 years and we had a great time. During lunch afterwards I asked him what else he was doing to keep himself entertained during retirement and he said he just bought a knife blank and was going to try knife making. I asked him to order me one too and in the process of making that first knife decided that I needed a drill press to drill the pin holes and a bandsaw to cut the blanks and a belt sander to sand the blanks and some drum sanders for the drill press to sand the handle contours...and then I needed a new bench for all my new tools, so I had to get a table saw to make the bench and part of that bench had to have a built in router (because a lot of the workbench designs had one...surely a router would come in handy for something) and a bench polisher to polish my knives. I won't even mention all the leather working tools needed to make sheaths. So having all those woodworking tools I decided to take a wood working class at the local community college where I met Rick who offered to give me a lesson making pens. I haven't touched my potters wheel yet! ;o)

LOL Great story. Hang on to the Potters wheel. One can't have enough hobbies.

Top Bottom