Howdy from Oklahoma

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerC

Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

I just started turning a few months ago when I told my boss (before completely engaging my brain apparently) that I could turn some pens for our high-end clients for our biggest event of the year. Since our organization thrives on personal connections with these folks, he loved the idea.

Great! Now I just had to figure out how to do it :rotfl:

Ok, so I wasn't a complete newb at woodworking. I actually build custom guitars for sale and have had instruments sell in excess of $30k at auctions.

I didn't have any turning equipment, though, so my company purchased all the gear and pen kits, and I get to keep the equipment as my payment for the job. I've got 100 pens to turn by July 2nd. All the barrels are turned, and they're currently with our laser engraver to have the company name engraved before I finish and assemble.

I've also had others contact me to turn some custom pens for them, so I'll them as another product on my website as well. I'm using the Stratus kit for all of our clients and also for the CEO and president of our company.

Here's one for our clients:

32803625214_2decbed96b_c.jpg

The top one here is for our CEO (spalted maple/katalox), and the bottom is for our president (figured cherry).

The design of the top one is a result of a blowout. Instead of scrapping the blank, I grafted on the piece of katalox as an accent.

34420083580_6743f2c9e4_c.jpg

And here's the spalted maple that was ordered by another guy at work who ordered it for his future father-in-law who's a lawyer and rabid pen freak. It's the Knurl GT kit in antique brass.

34807823455_500c6b8a1a_c.jpg

34645193362_916cb93f53_c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Roger !!!!!

WOW ... did you ever strike it lucky ... free equipment, etc. !!!!!!!

Top Bottom