Howdy from Frankfort Kentucky!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

picnic42

I just started pen turning in November of 2012... I bought a Delta 46-460, the first one shipped to me was defective (variable speed went to max all by itself) After receiving the replacement some two weeks later, I started making pens. The Delta is working fine now and I am enjoying this fine hobby. I intended to turn a pen or two every once in a while and maybe to a craft show for Christmas to sell my crafty little pens. However... this did not materialize. I posted my first pen on FaceBook.. then another... and my friends started to ask "how much?". I guess I priced them right and they started to sell right away! So... short story, long... I am now turning pens and selling them.

I do have a question, which I can't find an answer for here after a few tries. Is there any warnings or any cautions about turning the black wood fences that are so prevalant in Kentucky? A friend asked me to turn a pen from his fence to give as a gift. It is one inch thick, oak and covered in black paint. (Creosote???) He says it is safe for his farm animals and horses so it should be safe to turn and handle.
Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks
Ralph

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

welcome to the group from Wichita Falls, Tx! I think as long as you use some sort of filtration mask you should be ok, add some good ventilation to that as well.

ctubbs

Welcome from Murray, KY first. As to your question, over here much of the black 'paint' is actually asphalt thinned with diesel and then applied to the wood. Not sure what they use in the "golden Triangle" with all the money.
Have fun and make shavings safely.

Charles

picnic42

Welcome from Murray, KY first. As to your question, over here much of the black 'paint' is actually asphalt thinned with diesel and then applied to the wood. Not sure what they use in the "golden Triangle" with all the money.
Have fun and make shavings safely.

Charles

Thank you Charles... I was concerned about the chemicals used in some of the preservatives on those fences. I am accumulating some good info on this. Apparently the stuff they use on Kentucky farm fences is safe. I will indeed where a mask as I do now. Thanks again!
Ralph

Top Bottom