Howdy from central NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ned B

Hi folks,
firstpen-1.jpg

Just 'found' this site last night, so I thought I'd sign up. I'm a newbie when it comes to the world of spinny things. Just picked up a Delta midi lathe this spring, and only recently got it into action. Buddy of mine graciously taught me how to set up and turn a pen recently, and that's his Jet that I'm turning on in the photo above, plus in my avatar.
I had the great fortune to visit Bill Grumbine's shop lasts fall and try out his Robust...
roughing.jpg

yeah, that's not a pen, but hey, it was perhaps the third time I ever put tool to wood on a lathe. Yep, I'm hooked... want a Robust someday... when I hit the Lottery!:rotfl:

Here's the pen I was working on at Don's shop
firstpen.jpg

Mahagony slimline with basic gold kit from Woodcraft.

and another I did the same day

spaltedpen.jpg

Spalted Maple on that one.

Looking forward to seeing what folks are turning here, picking up some tips and sharing the fun!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Hi Ned - welcome from a fellow New Yorker. I'm over in the Rochester area. There aren't many upstate New Yorkers on here but there are 1 or 2 more. I travel all of upstate (Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, watertown, Plattsburgh, Ithaca) for work. Maybe we will cross paths at some time.

Ned B

Jim,
fellow road warrior here... but I'll keep the coffee pot on at the shop!

I'm in amsterdam at the moment, mobile office...
vanhome1-1.jpg
keeps the weather off of my laptop and camera...
Drop me a line when you'll be in sillycuse area and we'll set up a time to get together.

W Henrietta isn't that far, who knows I might head west one of these days too!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ned, welcome to our group, and let me be the first to admit that I am totally envious that you had the class with Bill Bumbine!!

That is something I want to do one of these days, but haven't been able to just yet.

Ned B

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Actually It wasn't his class. It was just his 'robustfest' when he showed off his new lathe last fall. He invited several folk down for a fall version of his five barns party. I had met him after a class/demo he did up in this neck of the woods, we met afterwards and had dinner along with another friend of mine, and he invited us to the robust warming party.

What you saw there was about as long as I worked on that honking huge bowl blank... and that's a Doug Thompson gouge which Bill had received the day before.

That led to 5 barns this past summer, which was a lot of fun as well.

I can say this, Bill is every bit as warm and welcoming in person as in his videos and is a super host! I hope to take a class from him eventually as well.

Ned B

Welcome to the group Ned, great pictures!
Thanks Mark,
I'm a pro photographer, and it helps having a good digital camera handy... my buddy took the one of me turning the pen, but his little point and shoot did a nice job as well.
Welcome Ned from S. Central Illinois. Good looking first pens!
Thankee, the maple one is my daily use pen, the other went to a benefit auction for some friends of mine.

Top Bottom