Hi from Wisconsin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dcohenour

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here from Wisconsin. I have been turning pens off and on for about one year, and have been giving them away up until now.

My lathe is a Jet 1220 (?) which I like a lot. I have done a few inlay kits, a ton of slimline kits, and have just started branching out into a little more expensive fountain and rollerball kits.

Looking forward to participating.

God Bless,
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Microgrs

Welcome Doug. I too live and make pens in Wisconsin (SE area). Here is something I would like to share. As a Wisconsinite you might know that buckthorn is an invasive species that has reached problem proportions in many of our forests and preserves. I am using buckthorn as a material for pen making. One thing is certain; there is no shortage of it. Still learning how to dry/cure it for turning but it seems to be a pretty turntable wood. Its grain pattern is virtually invisible and just a hair darker than off-white/yellow so it might very well become a substitute for acrylics that one could customize the color with paint and CA finishing. I make mainly FPs and RBs, a few slimline as gifts and for practice. I plan to post progress reports as I gain more buckthorn experience.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Welcome Doug. I too live and make pens in Wisconsin (SE area). Here is something I would like to share. As a Wisconsinite you might know that buckthorn is an invasive species that has reached problem proportions in many of our forests and preserves. I am using buckthorn as a material for pen making. One thing is certain; there is no shortage of it. Still learning how to dry/cure it for turning but it seems to be a pretty turntable wood. Its grain pattern is virtually invisible and just a hair darker than off-white/yellow so it might very well become a substitute for acrylics that one could customize the color with paint and CA finishing. I make mainly FPs and RBs, a few slimline as gifts and for practice. I plan to post progress reports as I gain more buckthorn experience.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
My wife had a nasty reaction last weekend to a thorn that poked her in the knuckle while we were cutting out a few of these nuisance trees.We were going to save a hunk for turning, but they weren't big enough to get much heartwood out of em

Top Bottom