Hi from Tennessee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

louisbry

I joined several months ago and it is about time I introduced myself. I'm 64 years young, am a native Texan, lived in California for 22 years where I retired from Aerospace Engineering in 2001, and relocated to Tullahoma, Tennessee to enjoy my retirement. I took up woodturning about two years ago and started making pens about six months ago. I also enjoy milling my own blanks and other project wood.

I must say that I have really enjoyed this site and have learned loads from reading the articles in the library as well as recent tutorials. After being inspired by so many of fellow member ideas I look forward to making segmented pens and perhaps making my own acrylic blanks. I have my paint pot but havent set it up yet.

Also I find this site excellent for spending my money in the group buys and member pen blank offerings. ha ha

Today I set up my photo album so you can see some of my work. I consider myself as a novice with ambitions of becoming good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you are just up the road from my spot here in GA. [:D]

Just looked at your album. VERY nice bowls and pens. I too like working with spalted maple. I see that you have a very large 'supply' up there. I may have to grease up the ole chain saw and pay you a visit one dark and stormy day when we ain't out in the shop!

Try and get a section of that tree's roots and dry them out and then turn a pen from the root. You might just get a big surprise! [;)]

papaturner

Welcome to the expense. Liked your work especially the spalted maple and the dogwood. I just made a modified slimeline with spalted maple this afternoon.

Perry

bananajeep

Welcome.
Nice work in your album.

My dad is about to retire from aerospace engineering. He to was in CA up until about 9 years ago when General Dynamics moved from San Diego to Tucson. I am in Northern California (followed a girl who became my wife finally) some days(100+ degrees F) I wish I was still in San Diego.

Mike

louisbry

Bob, I don't have much spalted maple left. Most is in the form of once turned bowls. A year ago I had plenty and could not give it away to woodturners in my club because they had plenty of wood to turn. Unfortunately with spalted maple, once it is right, you have to use it or lose it. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to obtain more maple logs and put them in my woods to spalt. I put them upright in the dirt, place dirt on the top of the log and place a black plastic bag over them. It took about four months to spalt. I also had good luck spalting hackberry. I will keep you in mind if I get another supply.

hkstrongside

Welcome! I too am fairly new here. I received such a nice welcome when I posted, I must do the same for the rest!
You have some very nice work. I hope so see some shared knowledge on how you cut up that tree and prepared it for crafting. I have a dead tree in my backyard I want to use.
Cheers!

bitshird

Hi Louis, greetings from buford Pusser country, also known as Mc Nairy County, Very nice work, I hope I get that good some day, I just turned my first pen last week.

Ken Ferrell
Leepwood TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom