Hi from Northern Indiana!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey everybody, Jim from Michiana here (that's what we call the South Bend, Mishawaka, Elkhart region on the Indiana/Michigan border).

I'm into lots of hobbies, but pen turning is new for me. I've always been into tinkering and making things, though. I've done a couple of woodworking projects, but they've always been with veneered plywood or MDF, so this will be my first "real" wood woodworking adventure. I've made closet shelves, speaker cabinets, a platform bed, a bar, and tools and fixtures for various jobs, but never with anything solid or hardwood.

I'm also into 3D printing and have designed two different machines, one that melts plastic and one that uses UV cured resin. I'm also a gearhead, and am currently wrenching on the motorcycle to prepare for spring. That's the dichotomy of my garage... I've only got one stall and it's either always greasy or dusty, and no matter what I'm working on, it seems like I always need it to be the other :)

Anyway, I bought myself a used Delta Midi Lathe for Christmas, and tuned it up and have been rounding off dimensional lumber. I've been setting my workbench up for pen turning since then. I've got a mandrel saver set, a carbide trimmer, and some blanks that should be delivered later today. I've also got a benchtop drill press and I set my bladerunner up on the workbench for cutting blanks in half. I will probably need a better drill press at some point (longer depth, less wobble) but I think I'll be able to limp along with it until then. Ultimately, I'll probably end up with a two jaw chuck and a tailstock drill.

I've already started drawing 3D printable parts for pen turning. I've got a set of MT2 tapers with press pads on them, I drew a silicone mold that will make resin blank molds, and I've started drawing a squaring jig for drilling. I'll probably use the press inserts first, so I'll let you know how that works. Maybe even later today!!

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Expect pictures and updates soon!

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Jim !!!! . Sounds like you are a man of many interests and talents !!!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Top Bottom