Hi from New Jersey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I'm a former Industrial Arts-Metals teacher including a variety of other disciplines in my 36 years as an Educator.
I'm an obsessive DIY'er and an active member of my Corvette club.
I learned how to operate a wood and metal lathe in high school and never lost the interest. My Dad was a machinist for Norden Bombsight during WW2 which also confirmed my interest in machine work and turning in particular.
A year or so after we bought our first house, in 1971, my father in law saw all the DIY work I was doing and gave me his 1954 Shopsmith Mark V.
I've tried all manner of turning, always a little apprehensive of pen turning because it seemed like such a precise operation that I could not accomplish on a big machine. "Turns" out my worry was not necessary.
For my Corvette and cars I had for years previous, I turned custom shift knobs. A few years ago I discovered 'acrylester' and other acrylic materials suitable for turning and just for the heck of it, I made a number of shift knobs, which I switch out on the Corvette and have made a few for people who have seen them.
Based on the fun I've had making them and researching pen making, I see this as an outlet for my love of turning and creating something useful that others will enjoy. ( Swapping 10 different shift knobs gets a little old after awhile:bashful:)
I just ordered 10 pen kits so I can make pens for my wife and I and our children and grandchildren. Can't wait to get the kits!
I've been a member of one of the Corvette forums since 2011, when I got my first one. If I were to go into all of the things I've learned, and all of the work/projects completed because of the fine people I would bore you silly. Because of this, I'm looking forward to membership in this forum as I join this fascinating hobby!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Charles, from Sydney Australia.
As a former Educator, I am sure you will find plenty to get you interested in from this Site.
The Knowledge in the Library is Incredible, and if it is not covered in there, then there is the Forum, where the Depth and Scope there is Unbelievable.
Enjoy the Addiction.
Regards,
Brian.

jttheclockman

Welcome from another Jersey guy. Stick around awhile and you will learn loads of things on this site. The sky is the limit. Good luck and Happy Turning.:)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Charles. Your experience will come in handy here at IAP. Lots to learn and your have experiences that can teach us things too! Thanks for joining in. Welcome.

OH, show us some of your shift knobs and other works. We would love to see them.

WriteON

Hi and welcome aboard. Show us your shift knobs. Maybe I'll make one for my .... uh...... Mustang or Mini.
Shift knobs.... you're a natural for bottle stoppers. Have fun. No limits.

Last edited:

Chasboy1

Here is one of my shift knobs as I try to learn how to post photos here:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1545.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1545.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 169
Top Bottom