Hi from Maine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Hi everyone. Up heah in Central Maine. Just got my old Atlas 12x36 running and completed my first pen. Am really enjoying this, though I do need a few more tools (does this ever stop?). I don't think turning with metal cutting bits in a tool post is the ideal situation, but it's what I have right now. Here's my first project, complete with flaws (Funline w/Cocobolo and CA finish):

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Thanks for the warm welcome!

OK, I think I'm hooked, made my second pen today. Gaps significantly better, but wood still a little proud at the nib--darn--felt good on the lathe! Guess I'll have to get my mic out. And of course I now feel flaws in the finish, luckily this pen if for myself.

I'll make a few more Funlines before I try a more complex kit--I've got a Designer kit and a blank of Desert Ironwood (my favorite wood) for a future project for myself.

Waiting (im)patiently for payday so I can buy more stuff!

Regards,
Michael

BSea

Welcome from Arkansas!

That's a great 1st pen. And while most here use a wood lathe, there are some very skilled pen makers here that use a metal lathe. I have a metal lathe in addition to a wood lathe. But don't confuse me with the very skilled metal lathe turners.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if there is something for an atlas lathe, but others have a tool post adapter so they can use wood lathe tools on their metal lathe. Igt might be something you want to look into.

mecompco

Welcome Michael. Very nice first pen. Not many people attempt a CA finish on their first.

Thank you. CA seems to be a pretty simple finish that comes out nice. I first learned about it when I was interested in knife making (a lot more work than making pens, but very rewarding--I have plans to make a propane forge this summer). I love than I can make a pen in a couple of hours--I think I have over 40 hours in the first (and thus far only) knife I have finished.

mecompco

Welcome from Arkansas!

That's a great 1st pen. And while most here use a wood lathe, there are some very skilled pen makers here that use a metal lathe. I have a metal lathe in addition to a wood lathe. But don't confuse me with the very skilled metal lathe turners.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if there is something for an atlas lathe, but others have a tool post adapter so they can use wood lathe tools on their metal lathe. Igt might be something you want to look into.

Thank you, Bob. I've been researching options for a tool rest for the Atlas. From all the YouTube vids I've watched, it seems that one can be more "artistic" with chisels (and faster, but I'm sure there is a learning curve ;-). Right now my max speed is around 1200 RPM, but I'm hoping to find a new motor pulley to get it up a bit. The old Atlas is a bit of a pain as it drinks oil like a drunken sailor puts away grog, and my power switch is to plug it in/unplug it. Still, it seems to get the job done. :)

magpens

Welcome !! ... don't be in too big a hurry to replace your metal-working lathe ... you can do plenty of good pen-turning with it ... maybe a little slower at some jobs ... but whichever lathe you use, sandpaper comes in handy !! :biggrin: Seems that you've done a great job with your first pens and you've been quick to pick up the CA techniques.

Last edited:

SDB777

Welcome aboard!!!!

I'll be up in July.....vacationland is calling(not to mention my folks)!

Scott B

Hi Scott--I think you mean "taxationland". ;-) Ha ha--whereabouts will you be? I'm in the Waterville area.

Actually your taxes are a little less then ours here:eek: I know, doesn't seem possible, but it's true. Besides, you can go into NH and live large.
I'll be spending a week in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and then a week in Lebanon, Maine. Not sure which week will be which right now, but there is fly-fishing to be-a-plenty and light house photo-ops too! Hoping to find some 'dark skies' while I'm back there too....sure miss seeing the MilkyWay!

Scott (no trees will be harvested though....bummer) B

Top Bottom