Hi from LI NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcflyer55

I'm brand new to turning anything, so I decided to start with pens. I have experience working with wood. I have been building RC planes for 30 years, but I've never used a lathe.

My start actually started on YouTube.
They suggest videos to watch and there was one on machining, and the guy was working on a lathe. I watched hours of all types of metalwork videos and was researching a mini lathe. I was all set to buy one when I found a pen turning video. Not knowing I could have done it on a metal mini lathe I ran out and bought a cheap harbor freight (I know I have on my fireproof suit for all the flaming) lathe.

I attached my first attempt at Turing a pen. It's a comfort pen from PSI. I didn't like the rubber grip so I omitted it. The wood is cocobola. I finished it with Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus. I have used CA for 30 years and try to stay away from it as much as possible because I developed an allergy to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.

The Harbor Freight lathes are good starter lathes & lots of folks here have them. My own lathe is an Excelsior from Rockler & it's the exact same lathe as the 10x18 MT2 lathe that Harbor Freight sells with their own name & color. I've had it for almost 3 years now (my how time flies) and it's served my needs just fine so far.

Nice job on that cocobolo pen!

jsolie

Welcome from Southern California! There are a lot of folks here who have one of the HF lathes. Congrats on the pen. I have to take precautions with cocobolo, it's one of those woods that people can develop a fairly serious allergy to.

CREID

Wow, oh I guess I should say "Welcome" (back to the wow now) there are a lot of new posters today.:)

Curt

Rcflyer55

Welcome from Southern California! There are a lot of folks here who have one of the HF lathes. Congrats on the pen. I have to take precautions with cocobolo, it's one of those woods that people can develop a fairly serious allergy to.

Thanks for the info on cocobola.

Rcflyer55

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I've been busy the past few days as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 77

J Michael

Another Howdy and welcome from Texas! Those are some nice pens. And don't worry about having a HF lathe - when my son wanted to get into turning 5 years ago I bought him a HF 65345 and, although we have added a Nova Comet II, we still use it frequently when we're turning at the same time or need a second lathe for finishing.

Top Bottom