Hi from Ireland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

Hi all,
I have poster in the pen turning section but I figured it would be good manners to come say hello and introduce myself.

I am a full time furniture maker based in the west of Ireland. The recession hit hard here but I have just enough to keep me going.
I used to turn a bit when I was younger and following a visit to a neighbour who is a woodturner and course runner, I'm looking to do it again.
I wasn't really planning on it but we were chatting and he took me into the workshop and said "here take that lathe with you and have a play, shur I'll come get it when I need it".

So I'm hooked again. The kids now have a collection of spinning tops..

There is a few things I dont get about the forum.
Other forums I use have "stickies". Threads pinned to the top for basic info.
Eg, the casting section, loads of threads, but none that cover the basics. Seems to assume members are already familiar with terms and methods.
Same with stabilizing. What is it exactly.
And the birthday bash section? And the auctions? No explanation as to what they are about.

I'm sure I will find my way around as time goes by.

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome, James .... from the west coast of Canada. Regarding the organization of the site and the functionality of its features, just click here and click there and you'll eventually get used to it. Don't hesitate to ask questions (be as specific as you can) and someone will be happy to help you.

One thing you might want to do is find other members who are in Ireland: click on "Members List" in the top blue bar; then, click on "Search Members" on the far right hand side; then click on "Advanced Search" in the little drop-down box; then, on the page that appears type in Ireland in the "Location" box; then, finally, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Search Now".

I had to ask somebody how to do that just a few weeks ago ! :)

By the way, what county are you in ? My ancestors are from Armagh. My wife was born in Offaly but most of her relatives live in Fermanagh. If you want to send me a Private Message, or PM as they say here, just click on my IAP name "magpens" on the left hand side and go from there :) .

You asked about the Birthday BASH ... that's an annual celebration commemorating the beginning of this website. It is almost finished, for this year, actually, so you'll have a whole year to get used to things and then you can participate next year. For this year, there are three auctions still running (and there might be some puzzle activities too). You can find them by clicking on "Forums" and then on "Auctions". Be warned, though .... the prices have already gone through the ceiling ! Proceeds of the auctions go to fund the IAP operations.

Last edited:

Tom T

Well come from sunny central Florida. This a great place. I have always had the same problem with navigating this wonderful sight. You'll get it don't worry. Always ask it is a helpful lot here.

JimB

Welcome aboard. The forums are used for discussion purposes and therefore don't have the stickies with the basic information, although a few of them do have stickies. If you look in the library you will find a lot of basic and advanced information as well as reference material.

Click on the library and some of those other blue boxes at the top and explore. Don't worry, it will all become second nature after a while.

plano_harry

Hi James, welcome from Texas! Looks like your questions have been addressed. No stickies to take up room in the forums. All the wisdom is collected in the Library. AND - the great search tool. Use this to find multiple years of wisdom and responses on a particular question. It is pretty hard to come up with a question that hasn't already been well answered. I always go there first -- you get instant results and don't have to wait for replies and hope that the person with the best knowledge will be online soon.

Top Bottom