Hi from Guelph (& St Petes FLA in winter!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lowla

Hi! I,took a penturning class in February and have been trying to learn everything I can since! I bought a lathe but haven't tried it yet (life gets in the way). I'm waiting for my chisels to arrive in the post, and hope to try some turning this weekend.
Question -should I just start trying to turn a pen, or practice with the chisels on just a pen blank first? I was thinking of just putting a block of wood on the lathe and seeing how the chisels feel. Is that a good idea?
Also, are there certain woods I should start with? I bought some cheap pen blanks while in Florida (I think some of them or Acacia. Don't recall the others), and just wondered if these would be ok to practice on. Are there any woods I should avoid to start with?

Thanks everyone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Don't bother with pen blanks you bought start with a chunk of 2x4. It will give you a feel for the tools and what you can do with them. You can get a lot of practice with an 8 ft 2x4. Enjoy the hobby.

robutacion

Hi! I,took a penturning class in February and have been trying to learn everything I can since! I bought a lathe but haven't tried it yet (life gets in the way). I'm waiting for my chisels to arrive in the post, and hope to try some turning this weekend.
Question -should I just start trying to turn a pen, or practice with the chisels on just a pen blank first? I was thinking of just putting a block of wood on the lathe and seeing how the chisels feel. Is that a good idea?
Also, are there certain woods I should start with? I bought some cheap pen blanks while in Florida (I think some of them or Acacia. Don't recall the others), and just wondered if these would be ok to practice on. Are there any woods I should avoid to start with?

Thanks everyone!

G'day, and welcome to the IAP family...!

In my opinion, I would suggest you start with a piece that is not too long (6" or so) and preferably round or rounded in the stock is square, you can remove the corners with a plane, plane, bandsaw and even an axe, rough is OK.

The reason to this is that you may feel a little scared with the action and jumping of the chisel/gauge on the square corners, after you get a little more familiar with your tools, starting with square wood becomes a little easier.

Also, remember that most new chisels/gauges you buy new, may not be as sharp as they can be so and unless they have carbide inserts, you may need to consider the regular sharpening they may require and what you need to sharpen them. Sharpening tools is another art altogether...!

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

MDWine

Welcome aboard.
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

oh yeah, POST PICTURES!! lol

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum! My first turning was on a used lathe. with a one inch dull wood chisel. The wood was a piece of 2X4 cut to about 1X1 on the tablesaw. It's been downhill ever since. My wife keeps asking when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. I mentioned dating again but that was overruled.:bad:

OZturner

Welcome Lowla, from Sydney Australia.
I would support the comments already made, just use any piece of wood you can, after you have spent quite a few hours looking at You Tube, there are many posts that show the correct way to use the Chisels, and what they are for. That is if you can't get to a Woodshop, Tool store or Turning Group, that gives lessons or demonstrations.
The main tip is to always rub the bevel first, then SLOWLY Raise the handle until it starts to cut, then slide it across the Tool Rest, along the Timber.
Regards,
Brian.

Lowla

Thanks all!

Thanks all for the warm welcome! The idea of trying a 2x4 sounds a tad scary! I might try a 2x2 to start though.
I bought some really cheap chisels from Harbor freight, but I don't have a bench grinder, and
really, no place to keep one, so I ordered some easy start carbide chisels that I just got yesterday.
I'm going to set up the lathe and get organized this weekend, and I appreciate all your encouragement!
My only other question is, at what speed do I turn at? The lathe I have is a variable speed 750-3200 rpm. I don't recall from the pen class I took what speed they started at.

Thanks again so much for all of the comments, tips and support!

Rick_G

I mentioned 2x4 because they are dirt cheap and easy to get. I would cut them into 2x2 either on the band saw or table saw before using. If you don't have either of those picking up a 2x2 and cutting it into 6" lengths will work fine.
When doing pens I seldom go below 1000 rpm usually 2000 or higher.

Top Bottom