Hi from Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SamThePenMan

Hi all,

I'm Sam from Central Florida. I thought I'd join the forum and contribute when I can, as well as learn some interesting and new things that I didn't know before. I put a few pictures of some of my pens at the bottom of this message. I'll upload others to the gallery later though.

I've been turning pens for a few years now. I first got started when I was working at a high school. The shop teacher was teaching his students how to use the wood lathe. One of the projects near the holidays was making slimline pens. He had me start practicing on plane old poplar blanks, getting the proper technique using the roughing gouge and skew, until I could make turn the poplar down to where it was completely flat with little to no wavey-ness across the piece. Then I made my first pen, slimline made out of mahogany. Ever since then I've been addicted to wood turning. The next thing I started doing was making small/micro tops out of scrap wood that was left over. Also some of the students would take cut offs from other projects and make tops, some competed against eachother to see whose top could spin the longest, it was fun.

Now I have other things under my belt, a few small bowls, some basic basic light pulls a few candle holders and clocks, but I still enjoy turning pens the most, though lately I haven't made as many as I would like.

At any rate I look forward to sharing tips and tricks with everyone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SamThePenMan

Thanks for all the welcomes and kind words everyone!

Erby: Thats cool, always nice to know local people. :)

I'll be adding a "Pen Gallery" page with in the next 10minutes or so. There are a few pens I wish I had pictures of (I may some where in my 10s of 1000s of pictures I have). I think I left a snake wood pen/pencil set that I made for my self at my friends house when I moved out 2 years ago. For some reason I haven't gotten around to asking him if they're still there or not! Hopefully I can find some pictures somewhere.

Top Bottom