Hi from Flanders in Belgium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fountainbel

I'm a 63 years old mechanical design engineer & pen aficionado from Flanders, Belgium.
After working 27 years as chief mechanical design engineer in the Int'l R&D department at Capsugel / Pfizer, I retired a few years ago.
Always using a fountain pen, I converted several young engineers in using & enjoy " the real writing tool" during my career.
I've acquired a nice collection of vintage fountain pens over the last 15 years, my first love & still lasting favorite being the OS Sheaffer's of the thirties & forties.
Always doing the repairs on my pens, I also started to repair pens for other collectors since my retirement.
I'm a particular fan of plunger fillers,since they can hold more ink as any other pen.
This technology is greatly under estimated over time, mainly due to the problematic repairs inherent to the early designs.
Although Sheaffer made high quality pens in their "golden era", their plunger fillers were unfortunately not always maintenance friendly.
Coping with these repair problems, I developed a plunger rod replacement cartridge, the "fountainbel" cartridge & appropriate tools for the repair.
The cartridge & tools are now used by several collectors & repairers
On the excellent "Penpedia" site -plunger filler repair- you can read all details on my cartridge & dedicated tools I've developed.
Always looking for new technical challenges,I designed & made various prototypes of my own OS plunger filler, called the PF Tribute*, during the last year. (*being a tribute to the plunger filler)
I just finished a new pump filling system, inspired by the Parker vac, however using a piston instead of the wear sensible rubber diafragm.
All parts- including the filling systems- are made in my shop, except for the nib assembly, for which I use Bock screw-in assemblies.
I will post some pictures of this pen shortly.
In my shop I have a Myford super 7 lathe and a small milling machine
As what concerns my other hobbies,I'm also a hobby beekeeper, a bow shooter & a collector of vintage pocket knives.
Hope to learn of lot from you all !
Thanks for reading so far !
Cheers, Francis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Welcome, Francis!

[SIZE=+1]IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Between the crosses row on row,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That mark our place; and in the sky[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The larks, still bravely singing, fly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Scarce heard amid the guns below.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We are the Dead. Short days ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Loved and were loved, and now we lie[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In Flanders fields.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Take up our quarrel with the foe:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]To you from failing hands we throw[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The torch; be yours to hold it high.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If ye break faith with us who die[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We shall not sleep, though poppies grow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In Flanders fields.[/SIZE]

rickstef

Francis

Hoi en welkom

I am probably the only American, here on the site, who could converse with you in your native language, having lived in Noord Brabant for 9 years

Rick

fountainbel

Thanks a lot for the friendly welcome, much appreciated !
Bruce, thank you for quoting the beautiful "In Flanders fields" poem. By the way, i drove many times trough Ninety Six, driving from Greenville/Spartanburg airport to the Greenwood Capsugel plant during my professional carreer.
Andrew, I fully understand you feelings. I've visited the "In Flanders fields museum" in Ypres for the third time this summer and was again very impressed. Be assured that we Belgians still feel gratefull towards our liberators.
Rick,bedankt voor je welkom, could be helpfull in the future !

Regards, Francis

Daniel

Welcome Francis, I think the stock in this group just jumped a couple of points. You need to drop into the fountain pen forum where there are a hand full of other penturners pressuing the perfect parts.

Beekeeping caught my eye. just about the time I took up penturning I was in the process of making my own beehive. I managed to get stung by a hornet while building a fence and had a huge reaction. It is a long story but basically I might as well have snorted the venom and the reation from the sting went through my entire body. At the time the doctors did not know if it was because of where I got stung (my upper lip) or I had finally developed an allergy to the venom (I've had hundreds of stings over the years). Anyway beekeeping is the only hobby my wife insisted I stop pressuing. I would still love to have a hive (or three) and actually had the chance to get a hive of bees out of the neighbors roof. talk about a little gold mine. My wife had such fit I had to let it go though and as is all to often true the hive was poisoned. When I told the home owner that I could have easily found people that woudl have paid him to remove the bees he was pretty upset, of course it was to late by then.
I woudl not only love to see pictures of your pen work but your hives as well.

altaciii

Wow. Welcome Francis, I do feel a little foolish. I read your pen post before I saw read this one. Another very interesting penturner on the site is great, I would love to hear some your stories and see more of your work.

VisExp

Francis

Hoi en welkom

I am probably the only American, here on the site, who could converse with you in your native language, having lived in Noord Brabant for 9 years

Rick

Welkom Francis, hoe gaan dit met jou? Dis baaie lekker om te he u hier!

Rick, Afrikaans is fairly close to Dutch or Flemish :)

fountainbel

Thanks again for your friendly welcome to all off you !
Daniel, sorry to hear about your bee sting allergy, beekeeping is a beautiful hobby.
I'll surely post a picture of my beehive stand shortly.
Kieth, hartelijk bedankt ! Ik hou van het Afrikaans, tijdens een vakantie in SA is het mij opgevallen hoe gemakkelijk verstaanbaar het voor een Vlaming is. Ik had een "bakkie" (mooi woord !) gehuurd om samen met mijn vrouw rond te trekken.
Een prachtig land, vooral de week die we in het Kruger park hebben rondgetrokken is onvergetelijk!
Francis

Top Bottom