Hi from England

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodt

Hi,
My name is Rod Thompson, and I live in semi poverty in Milton Keynes's in the English midlands having recently retired and I joined your association a month or two ago but had not introduced myself.
At some time in my life I it worked in both the Middle East and in Pakistan and for a period I had some surplus money. I enjoyed the standard "cigareets and whisky" but there weren't many wild, wild women plus the occasional racing catamaran (Prindles) and I still had enough money left over to indulge my other passion, I bought pens, fancy pens, expensive pens!! I loved them!!
I still have many of them but in many cases other people have loved them as much as me, and pinched them. Casting around for something to do in my retirement and perhaps to replenish my dwindling supplies of pens I had considered making some pens, but it was only when I bumped into this web site that I realized that it was possible to make pens at least as good as the ones that I spent so much on, and hopefully with some practice much, much better! Some of the pens that I have seen on this site are simply breathtaking and take the whole process into an art form, if I can even get somewhere near their standard I shall be so pleased and proud.
I am interested in trying all aspects, in particular segmentation, and have read some interesting features on the site. I would love to make some acrylic Blanks but do not really understand this technique. I seem to be able to find instructions for making a onetime mould (mold) but even then I do not quite understand whether you insert the tubes as part of the process or whether you just make the blank and then drill it, but since I wanted to decorate the tubes that wouldn't work. Can anybody advise?
Not being very good at typing I am dictating this using Windows speech recognition program and I am struggling a bit (it is learning quite a few swear words in the process) so if it is a bit stilted I apologise. This is also the first forum that I have ever joined so if I have the formalities wrong I apologise again

Regards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hiya Rod from North Wales.:biggrin:

Not to worry about almost being poor, with this hobby you'll be completely broke inside a month!!!:biggrin::eek:

I spend many hours near your home town............but only if you include being stuck on the M1:wink::frown::biggrin:

Welcome to the IAP ( stands for; I'm Almost Poor ):biggrin:

Rollerbob

Welcome Rod. Glad to have you onboard the speedy train to brokeness!!:eek: Skip can certainly help you get going in the right direction for top notch pens. He is our European ambassador and is willing to share.:wink: Again, glad you joined us!!

Last edited:

Ligget

Welcome Rod, once you start penturning it`s a real drain on your bank balance, however, if you sell a few of your creations it helps, just a little!

leehljp

Member Liaison

rodt

Thanks Cathy, I've spent weeks browsing the library, (amazing amount of information), and missed the bit you mention. It answers my query I think and is very useful. I will give it a go.
Regards
Rod

Top Bottom