Hi from the coast of Maine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Hi everyone,

Have enjoyed looking around here a little. I've already picked up some great tips and I'm looking forward to learning more.

I'm work in a cabinet shop http://www.heartwoodmillworks.com/
but I decided years ago to only use a lathe for my own recreation.
Purchased a Rockwell/Delta 46-525 from our local school a couple years ago.

I've ordered a pen turning kit and look forward to heating up the shop this weekend to try it out.

Lenny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

welcome aboard! My family is from just down the coast (Rockland/Thomaston area, Cushing to be exact), been by your town several times on the way to Bar Harbor (more family).

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Lenny! Your cabinet making background will help you get started quickly into this fun and business.

The cabinet makers on this forum excel in their work. Even though pen turning and finishing is different, the experience from cabinet makers contributes a lot to their quality pen making.

Lenny

Thank you to all for that nice welcome. I started turning at the age of 10 an a lathe that had been my grandfathers. It had originally run by the old flat belts that would hang down from the ceiling (I like to imagine it in an old mill). The bed was actually wooden beams that years later my dad and I replaced with 12 footers in order to duplicate 2 columns for a porch remodel we did in town. (I wish he still had that lathe). Anyway, turning that hunk of wood didn't intimidate me back when I was young and foolish but now that I'm just foolish, even these little pen blanks seem daunting. Ha ha !
I mostly have done spindle turning (when ever the local lumber yard needed a special order) and that got to be a job instead of fun. So now I want to get back at it in a way I can enjoy myself.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Lenny

Lenny

Quite a few Mainacs here ! Quite a few people from Maine too I guess.
=0)
Still waiting to get my pen turning kit. Maybe by the time it arrives the temperature will get back up to zero. burrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Top Bottom