Hi from Birmingham in the UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnwuk

Hi all my name is John and I live in Birmingham in the UK. I used to make folding knives but not made one for 3 years now, the wife was never keen on me making them so I was on the look out for a new hobby and came across a video on youtube by Tinkerjohn on pen making, I found it fascinating to watch and it gave me the inspiration to have a go at it myself, so I bought 5 slimline kits and up to now I have made 3 pens not up to the same standards as you guys but it's a start and I really enjoyed making them which is what it's all about. I don't have a wood turning lathe at the moment so I made a tool rest to use on my mini lathe that seems to work well, it will do until I get a proper wood turning lathe. You have a great site here and I look forward to making lots of pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fountainbel

Welcome from Flanders in Belgium John !
I also was a vintage folding knife collector & repairer, and it looks we share the same situation, my wife did not appreciate my hobby either !
So I went in pen repair & restoration, and gradually in kit less pen making.
In fact I've just joined the IAPT a few days ago.
Look forward to see some of your pensi

Francis

johnwuk

Thanks all for the warm welcome I have included a picture of one of my folders and the 3rd pen I've made up to now, made from Olivewood hope you like it. Still got a lot to lean but it was fun to make.

Attachments

• linerlockprototype.jpg
    linerlockprototype.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 108
  • Olivewood slimline2.jpg
    Olivewood slimline2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 105

Ligget

Welcome to the group John, knives are becoming a large problem in the UK, pens are definately more acceptable to carry around and show people! :)

johnwuk

Thanks Barry and Mark for the welcome. And you're absolutely right Mark about the knives, people don't see the craftsmanship in making a folding knife just the damage they can cause when they are in the hands of a moron. And I like your website Mark and all the pens you made, hope to get close to your level with a lot of practise.

drayman

hey john, welcome to a great online family. its also nice to see another brit here too. its nice to have you on the slippery slope like the rest of us.

dgscott

Welcome, John! My wife's a Brummy -- we met when I worked at Selly Oak Hospital a million years ago. Brought her back to the US 31 years ago and haven't looked back. I still remember the wonderful aroma along the Bristol Road on cloudy days by the Cadbury factory!
Doug

Top Bottom