Hi all,I am Pat from Cambridge.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would just like to introduce myself to all.
I am Pat and I have been turning pens for a year now.
What a rewarding and relaxing activity it is.
I took pen making up a month after my father passed away last year.
It was a hobby to him and he loved making different pens.
I wanted to carry on his craft and have quickly learned through online video's and have hosted a couple of craft fairs in Cambridge selling them.
I never tire of the lovely comments people make about how beautiful the pen's and perfume dabbers are.
I have just started making my own acrylic blanks and purchased a pressure pot to keep them bubble free.
It is always a surprise when mixing different colours and ingredients to the acrylics as to what comes out.
They always look fantastic.
I have added Coffee bean's, Pasta, Pot Purri, and glitters.
If anyone has tried any other things that they think I should give a try I would appreciate suggestions.
Looking forward to hearing from you and picking up some hints and tips in the forums.
Pat Carter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Pat. I'm sorry about the loss of your father, but it is great that you are carrying on his hobby. I am sure it will bring you many great memories of him.

I hope you will join in on some of the activities & contests in our upcoming BASH celebration. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edgar

Welcome to the IAP from Scotland!
Hi Mark
I Thank you for your welcome to I.A.P
I also had a look at your site and must say it is very nice.
I am sorry your health is not good but am pleased and completely understand the therapeutic benefits of this hobby.
I noted that you have used Antler in your pen making.
This is a material that I have never tried.
It is hard to get a hold of in Cambridge.
I originate from Dunfermline and have family now in Glenrothes.
I do try to get up there at least twice a year to see my mum.
My Day Brian passed away last May and he loved making pen's.
If you ever have a surplus of antler you would like to sell I would love to purchase some from you so that I can try turning it.
If not no worries.
It is nice to hear from someone with a similar interest.
Keep in touch.
Pat.

Curly

Welcome Pat.
Some of the larger pet stores here sell antler for dogs to chew. Probably from deer and elk farms. A long shot in your neck of the woods but you might try looking at the ones in your area to see if they sell them too.

Hawkdave

G'Day Pat, and welcome to IAP.

Carrying on with your Fathers hobby is a great way to remember him. Well done mate!

I hope you get some replies to your query about other mediums to include in acrylic blanks. I would also like to get involved in making my own blanks as well.

Dave.

Top Bottom