hi all

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Hi everyone. My name is keith. I am new to all of this have just bought a lathe 2 weeks ago and have been picking up bits and pieces as i go along. I've been told this is a very addictive hobby and thats for sure. Seem to be buying stuff all the time. Anyway hope to get to know you all. Oh yeah any advice you could give a newbie would be really appreciated thanks

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Let me be the first to welcome you Keith. I think we only have one other guy from Ireland. This place is really full of great advice.:D

All the best topics have been saved in the library. So get yourself a pint of Guiness and sit back and read to your hearts content.

Russianwolf

Hi Kieth,
Your name looks familiar. Do you sell wood on ebay? I may have bought some from you if that's where I'm remembering you name from.

Welcome aboard.

keithkarl2007

you may have seen me bidding alright not selling though. what would i have to offer being in ireland[V] i really envy the yanks and ozzies they have great sources of beautiful exotic woods

keithkarl2007

i haven't turned a pen yet but i just can't stop myself from bidding on some nice burled or highly figured blanks. Have to try and control myself. Hope you don't take offence to my slang mean nothing by it sorry[B)]

Russianwolf

kieth, there are those of us who will just about fall over ourselves for some of that nice Irish Bog Oak that you might have laying around. And I love other woods of Irish origin too. Some of the people I've sold to frequent the Irish/Celtic Festivals here in the states.

So don't go discounting what you have in your back yard. Those are exotics to us.[8D]

keithkarl2007

True. The company i work for have a huge beam of bog oak must be 18" x 18" 6ft long and a few nice yew logs. Have to suck up a bit and see if i can get some

GoodTurns

Originally posted by keithkarl2007

what would i have to offer being in ireland[V] i really envy the yanks and ozzies they have great sources of beautiful exotic woods
Welcome to the addiction!

exotic is directly related to proximity!!!! Like Mike said...box up that bog oak, we can work a trade!;);)

keithkarl2007

its amazing how friendly penturners and woodturners are. Any forum or site i have joined everyone warmly welcomed me into this exciting and rewarding hobby. Thanks

Karl!!!,
Welcome to the madness!! ScribbleSticks here!! I just finished replying to you via eBay a little while ago. Glad you found us. This place is truly a fountain of knowledge when it comes to pen turning. Welcome and keep in touch.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from Indiana Keith ! Keep your pockets full of cash & watch for classifieds ( business & individual ) also the group buys . You'll find great deals right here on our sight . Check out the favorite sellers too .
Happy to have you join us ! And , please put me on that Bog Oak list you're going to start right now , before you forget all about it !! :D:D:D

keithkarl2007

ok so i think i asked this already and got no answers. maybe there are none but how is this hobby so addictive. i just can't seem to keep my money in my wallet. is there a penturners anonymous that we should know about and HAS ANYONE GOT THE NUMBER PLEEEEASE:D

keithkarl2007

right so i've one more thing to do before i start i need to make a stand for my lathe anyone any ideas or suggestions about making one and what height it should be

CrazyBear

Hi keith from a celtic cousin acros the water

I think this may answer your question

Lathe Height
In his book, "Turning Bowls with Richard Raffan", Raffan states,

"It pays to set the center height so it's comfortable for you. You need to be able to see what you're doing without bending, so the best height for the lathe center is about 2" (50mm) above your elbow"

keithkarl2007

they are brilliant though aren't they. I've never turned before in my life and since getting my lathe i've only rounded scraps to get a feel for the chisels. Still i can't wait to turn my first pen

keithkarl2007

wow we have 5219 members registered on this site. thats amazing. i've never before seen such a large communitty of very talented craftsmen. Some of, what am i saying, all of your work is really inspiring

nava1uni

Welcome from San Francisco. Don't wait too long to start. Keep practicing, but jump right in and try your hand at a pen. It isn't as difficult as it seems. The difficult part is being patient when turning and when finishing. Then your end result is best. Lots of us are new to turning, but once you start it's in your blood and then there is no going back. YEAH for turning!!![:p]

keithkarl2007

my first acrylic

200854204843_new%20091.jpg

keithkarl2007

Guess i'm still completely new to this have my second pen turned and haven't taken a pic yet. The finishing part really bugs me. I briefly tried ca/blo but i think i didn't properly clean the dust from sanding and there were white patches on it that just wrecked my head

Top Bottom