Hi.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeshoops

I'm excited to use this forum and look forward to learning more about this craft. I live in Bakersfield, CA and work in a busy emergency room as a charge nurse and nursing informatics. If any of you are close by, I'd enjoy picking your brain over coffee. I'm new to this, having completed 38 pens and pencils to this point.

I have turned bowls, pepper mills, candlestick holders, and furniture legs for personal use. This is my first time shaing my craft with others. Oh, years ago, I turned 168 spindles for a deck. My only formal training in woodturning was shop in Jr. High in 1967. I read Woodturning Magazine on my I Pad and have, at times, subscribed to various woodworking magazines such as Fine Woodworking. I see numerous tablesaw accidents, some chainsaw accidents, and used to catalogue them for a Seattle physician, where I used to live. Two of my children and 5 grandchildren still live there.

Now pen turning. What a learning curve! Finally mastering the skew. I used to destroy a lot of projects with that tool. So far, I have burned my fingers on CA glue, nicked a finger trying to hold a blank while reaming (stupid), and punctured a finger on the spur of a brad point bit. Hope to get wiser in this craft.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

Welcome from the mountains of Tennessee. We have a lot of medical related people on this site. Drs, nurses,medical IT and transplant coordinators. I know about them tablesaw accidents. My grandfather was a cabinet builder and you couldn't find a pair of work gloves in his shop that you could wear. My grandmother had modified them all where he lost his ring finger to an argument with the tablesaw. He lost.

Check out the library. Great info there.

Top Bottom