Hey from Upstate NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mischief1273

Hope this post finds everyone doing well! I'm a new face here and want to introduce myself.
I happened to stumble across a youtube video about 2 months ago of someone turning a pen and it was so intriguing that I started digging into it. I found a gentleman within an hour of my house that dose a "pen Turning" workshop every Tuesday night. He was kind enough to do an intro lesson for me on my day off. (Wednesday) LOVED IT! Loved it so much that I drove over 2 hours from Cobleskil NY to Wood Craft in West Springfield Massachussettes to purchase everything to turn a pen THAT NIGHT! ( I already had a Harbor Freight Lathe)

Looking forward to learning much, much more.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

adirondak5

Hi Frank , welcome from one new NY'er to another . Your'e lucky you have a Woodcraft (I assume ) within 2 hrs drive , out here on the Island I'd have to take the ferry over to Connecticut , 67 miles to the Hartford store , or the West Springfield store is 90 miles away but with traffic it would be over 4hrs round trip .
Anyway IAP has been an immensely helpful resource , and lots of friendly , helpful folks here

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Frank.

That's kinda the way I got started in pen turning. One of the men at our church was a HS woodworking instructor for many years and showed me some of the pens that he turned. He invited me over to his shop to show me how he made them, but we were having trouble finding a mutual time. In the meantime I watched some You Tube videos and decided to take the plunge. Rockler was running a sale on their Excelsior lathe (identical to one of the HF models), so I went over there one evening, looked them over & took one home (along with a bunch of other stuff). :biggrin:

SteveAxelrod

Welcome from Florida, Frank!

I'd still be turning my pens on my HF lathe if I hadn't begun to turn bowls and found reverse turning to be more comfortable when turning bowls. So I built another bench and set my son up with my HF lathe and bought a lathe with reverse and variable speed. As you no doubt have already discovered, turning is a fine addiction!

We all look forward to seeing your pens, so be sure to share them with us in the forum "Show Off Your Pens!"

Mischief1273

Thank folks! Looking forward to moving forward with this hobby. (for now)

I had an elk shed laying around for the past 6 or 7 years in my garage...played with that last night. Just need to do some research on the best finish for antler.

On a different note, for you NY'ers out there, are there any pen shows or pen turner shows near CNY or upstate?

Divingdad

Frank, welcome! The folks here are a great resource for learning.

In terms of shows, search on Totally Turning. It is held in the spring in Saratoga Springs. It's a great show.

Dave

(Oh and welcome from Connecticut; )

Last edited:

Mischief1273

Thanks guys! Here are a few of my "beginner" pens. I've done 2 others but I don't have any pictures of them as I gave them away without taking a picture of them.

I am going to make a light box for photo's next ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom