Hey from Connecticut.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SimplyG

Signed up here a while back, probably when I first started thinking about turning, but never posted.

I was saving for a lathe when I had some car issues, but a family member picked me up an old Delta Homecraft lathe (old and kinda of beaten up with surface rust on the bed etc.) because he knew I wanted one which was super nice.
After having it for over a year I was finally able to clean it up and get the missing parts , and tools needed and finally turn something.

First attempt wasn't horrid, but thankfully I know where I went wrong on the top part.

I really enjoyed making it and have a few more blanks glued up to turn when I'm able to get a few minutes this upcoming week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SimplyG

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Knocked out my second pen this morning after work.
Still need a LOT of practice, gotta stop trying to do a CA finish for a bit, messed it up horribly both pens and had to sand it off and refinish with butcher block wax/oil.

I also managed to destroy what I had left for walnut due to a glue up mishap. (Not really sure what I did wrong as the tubes were set fine but by the time they cured they had poked out one end quite a bit.
Also learned I'm not ready to turn plywood type blanks, especially if I don't square them up, haha first shattered blank.

Overall this morning I learned a bunch of things I shouldn't do. Still really enjoying it though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 120

Ligget

Welcome from Scotland, good work on both pens my friend, just remember that each penturner in this forum was a beginner, so you are just going through what we all did, your on the right track though!

Sataro

Nice start on your pens! You will learn & improve by getting in the shop & turning. It's a great hobby & very addictive.

Welcome from Corsicana, Tx!

Top Bottom