HELP ME! WHAT am I doing HERE???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dkite726

Well..... I'd always thought about getting a shopsmith... but... you know... they're expensive? And.... what would I do with it? Having said that.... I just LOVE Craigslist (doesn't everyone?). So... there's a listing for a free shopsmith... you know the one... used to belong to dad... but... didn't have room for it in the garage so it was stored outside. I was going to "restore" it but all I managed to do was take it apart and lose pieces... so it's free! What a bargain thinks I??? And 70-80 hours of rust removal and $300 in parts later I have a fully functional "greenie" That's when the bug really bit... you know... there's one for sale 60 miles away with all the attachments? But... by the time I got there some of the "stuff" had been sold in a garage sale, but... still. So now the proud owner of two shopsmiths. My of my son's buddies had turned some stuff before and said I needed a chuck. Hmmm.... so there's another shopsmith at an estate sale that had a really nice chuck... turns out they wouldn't sell the parts separate from the tools. So I go back the last day and get it for less then half price. OK... so... what to do with a brace of shopsmiths? I found some pen kits at a garage sale... Hmmm..... so.... how hard can this be? Now.... 30 some pens later.... this is kinda fun! Even managed to suck in a retired Navy buddy of mine. So.... now what??:beauty:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Now what ?? - Post some pictures !!!

And, while we're both here .... Welcome to IAP, Dave !!!!

You have 3 lathes ... one for turning ... one for drilling ... one for buffing ... lucky you !!! . Too bad they are not variable speed but you can live with that.

So where do you keep them ? . Outside ?

Last edited:

OZturner

Welcome Dave, from Sydney Australia.
There is a Convention within the IAP, "If there is no photograph, It Didn't Happen".
How about posting a Couple of those 30 or so Pens. :wink::)
Brian.

MDWine

Welcome aboard .
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

I love my Shoppy!! (I'd love to get my hands on a new one, the capabilities are incredible!!)

Glad you found your way here!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.

Looks like you found out real quick why we call this hobby a vortex. :)

howsitwork

well you could but another shopsmith for "spares" if you're at a loss for things to do.....

Welcome and now you can start making accessories for them.

Have fun.

Ian

Top Bottom