Hello from Wisconsin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Been snooping around in here quite a bit over the last three weeks or so, and figured its about time to jump in the madness. I think I may have been a member in here a decade or more ago, but I cant find any confirmation of that, other than my fading memory of taking part in a group buy of cigar pens, and I don't know anywhere else that would have been but here.
So a little intro..... I'm a welder by trade, a hobbiest woodworker, my main passion being scroll sawing (mainly fretwork), and wood turning. I do recognize a few members here from the scrolling community, and a few I've met at different scrollsaw trade shows/picnics, of which I have attended a bunch of over the years in 8 different states. I haven't been active on the scrollsaw forum at Fox Chapel Publishing in a few years, but I still on occasion do some test cutting for Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts magazine.
My turning is pretty basic. A handful of bowls, and candle holders, a few other odds and ends, and I turned a couple hundred pens over the years, mostly wood, but a few acrylics and corians as well. My wife loves turning pens as well. The lathe will sit for a couple months collecting dust, then the turning bug hits us and we fight over the lathe for a while . My current lathe is a Grizzly G1067Z I bought new 15 or more years ago. I don't think they even have that model anymore, but its been a great lathe for me. I am considering adding a second lathe, nothing fancy as cost is a concern for me right now, but I can afford that 1018 Harbor Freight machine. At least with that my wife wont be hogging the only lathe when I want to turn something.
And with me snooping around on here I was shocked and amazed to learn that I am about 15 miles from what Ive read was one of the best places to buy kits and turning supplies, that being Exoticblanks.com. I can see already I will be shopping there quite a bit!!
Enough of me rambling, I appreciate all the stuff I've already learned here in the recent weeks, and look forward to all that is coming in the future!!
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site Dale. Have to say you have piqued my interest. Do I know you or do you know me??? I too am an avid scroller for over 30 years now. Have done numerous shows and have done some work for a catalog company many years ago. I have been on just about every scrolling site there is or was. Do not visit much any more except for Scroll Saw Village - A Community Of Scroll Saw Enthusiasts Hit a few of the others from time to time. Started turning about 2005 and try to incorporate some scrolling with turning now and again. Need a clue as to who you are.

Anyway hope you stick around this is a very nice group of people willing to help and share. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

John, I have been to many scrollsaw picnics, the closest to you would have been a few in PA , either the scrolling picnics, or the Fox Chapel open house, if you've attended any of those? About 10 years ago I had a wall clock ( The Lang Clock) featured in SSWC ( summer 2007) magazine, as well as a couple other small projects after that. I have met many great people over the years, the scrolling community is chock full of great folks. Its possible we have crossed paths somewhere. I used to be active on Wood Mags message board and I don't even know if they still have one, before Scrollsaw Workshop (now SSWC) message board where I was really active for many years. I will try getting a gallery of pics on here sometime soon!

jttheclockman

John, I have been to many scrollsaw picnics, the closest to you would have been a few in PA , either the scrolling picnics, or the Fox Chapel open house, if you've attended any of those? About 10 years ago I had a wall clock ( The Lang Clock) featured in SSWC ( summer 2007) magazine, as well as a couple other small projects after that. I have met many great people over the years, the scrolling community is chock full of great folks. Its possible we have crossed paths somewhere. I used to be active on Wood Mags message board and I don't even know if they still have one, before Scrollsaw Workshop (now SSWC) message board where I was really active for many years. I will try getting a gallery of pics on here sometime soon!

Yes I was at the Fox Chapel open house. The very first one they had. I worked on some of John Nelson projects prototype including this one which I made the prototype for and shown it off there. It was a Steebar exclusive and still is today. I did alot of work for Steebar back when the original owner had it. Many of my patterns are still being offered. I was to about 4 or 5 PA picnics back when scrolling was big. Good times. We probably met. I still scrollsaw and sell my work at shows. Do not do many any more though. Anyway will look for your work on the site. Good luck and have a look around. Plenty to see here.

Gunnarkouper

Passed Away Sep 21, 2018
In Memoriam
Welcome

Welcome from Wisconsin Rapids, WI.
I personally don't do any scroll work now, but you never know in the future. Pens, bottle stoppers, and seam rippers keep me very busy for now.

BobGast

Hi Dale from Round Lake Beach, Illinois. I'm not that far from exotic blanks either but I called them to see if they had a store front and not yet. Just internet business. I have a scroll saw but have never used it. I want to use it for some creative blanks when I get better. I have only begun to turn just last November. Before that I've never done anything with wood and I think that I am starting rather late being 65 years old and just retired last July. But I am having the most fun now that I have ever had in my life.

jaywood1207

Hi Dale nice to see you here and welcome to the IAP. It's been about 10 yrs since we last talked so I'm not sure if you remember me or not. I do very little scrolling any more and focus mainly on turning with pens and razors about 10% of my work and rings the other 90%. Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing what you can do with the lathe. Maybe some combo scrolled/turned pens. ;)

Hi Dale nice to see you here and welcome to the IAP. It's been about 10 yrs since we last talked so I'm not sure if you remember me or not. I do very little scrolling any more and focus mainly on turning with pens and razors about 10% of my work and rings the other 90%. Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing what you can do with the lathe. Maybe some combo scrolled/turned pens. ;)

If you are the Jamie that had two small boys with him that came to a scroll saw picnic, and bought a Dewalt scroll saw from someone named BJ, then yes, I DO remember you! Always wondered what become of you, and those two boys of yours!

Hi Dale from Round Lake Beach, Illinois. I'm not that far from exotic blanks either but I called them to see if they had a store front and not yet. Just internet business.

Yea, on Sunday we had to go to Racine, and drove by where ExoticBlanks is just for the heck of it, and yeah, theres no store per se, but at least I know where they are at. Might be able to save myself on shipping charges!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Dale from Round Lake Beach, Illinois. I'm not that far from exotic blanks either but I called them to see if they had a store front and not yet. Just internet business.

Yea, on Sunday we had to go to Racine, and drove by where ExoticBlanks is just for the heck of it, and yeah, theres no store per se, but at least I know where they are at. Might be able to save myself on shipping charges!!!!

If we know you are coming, on a weekend, we can make time for a cup of coffee!!! Let us know!!

I will be driving to the IAP meeting in Chicago Feb 11---wanna come with???

Ed & Dawn

Last edited:

jaywood1207

If you are the Jamie that had two small boys with him that came to a scroll saw picnic, and bought a Dewalt scroll saw from someone named BJ, then yes, I DO remember you! Always wondered what become of you, and those two boys of yours!

That is me. Boys will be 20 and 21 this year and are both in university. I got married 5 yrs ago and we have a 1 yr old daughter who was and is a true blessing.

Top Bottom