Hello from Winterpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ReverendThom

Hi all,
Thom is my last name, not first ;)

I'm pretty new to pen turning; 2 weeks to be exact. But I'm quickly growing to enjoy it! I've made 7 pens so far, and a safety razor.

I first got into woodturning by way of pipe making. That is a tricky craft. I'm not saying pen turning is easy, but so far there has been much less aggravation :)

This was my very first pen
w9ZMlDb.jpg

And here is the razor I did the other day
HQAO3mr.jpg

I'm looking forward to hanging around and picking up some tips!

Also, if anybody can link me to a place to get better Cross style ink refills than what comes with a standard slimline kit, I'd be very grateful (but I'll also poke around here as I'm sure that's come up before).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hello Michael !!! . Welcome to IAP !!

I hope you find a GOOD version of the refill. . I gave up and moved on to the Slimline Pro which uses a Parker ... slightly fatter pen but only marginally and lots more potential for innovative design.

larryc

I was in "Winterpeg" twice in August. My wife and I took the Via Canada train from Toronto to Vancouver via Winnipeg and then returned. It seems that all of the Via Canada crews live in Winnipeg. That's where they changed crews. What a trip. It was one of our bucket list things to do.

ReverendThom

I was in "Winterpeg" twice in August. My wife and I took the Via Canada train from Toronto to Vancouver via Winnipeg and then returned. It seems that all of the Via Canada crews live in Winnipeg. That's where they changed crews. What a trip. It was one of our bucket list things to do.
Ohhhh that's been on my list too!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Talltim

Also, if anybody can link me to a place to get better Cross style ink refills than what comes with a standard slimline kit, I'd be very grateful (but I'll also poke around here as I'm sure that's come up before).

To answer your question about cross style refills. Decent refills at a cheap price are harder to come by. Personally I like the private reserve or the monteverde refills.

Exotic blanks used to list the private reserve for $.89. But they seem to be perpetually out of stock on this item lately. If they do get them back in stock exotic blanks are great folks to deal with. The best price I seem to find on them is from Mazurka pens. They list for about $1.59.

As far as Parker style I have found some good deals on Amazon from Lanier pens on the Schmidt refills.

Others on here may certainly have better resources than I do and I would be glad to hear about them as well.

Last edited:

Katya

Welcome from Tranna! My brother lives in Winnipeg- lovely city, though I hear it can be a wee bit chilly. And welcome to the pen addiction, too<g>. There are many directions in which you can take your pen making. Could you show us some pics of the pipes?

ReverendThom

Welcome from Tranna! My brother lives in Winnipeg- lovely city, though I hear it can be a wee bit chilly. And welcome to the pen addiction, too<g>. There are many directions in which you can take your pen making. Could you show us some pics of the pipes?
Was only -20 this morning already in the wind :/

Here's a few of the ones I made last year. I never did get very good, but sure hope to still :)
d7a347d4f451c5ce31eb3c5cdce13763.jpg
fe9b0dd870ca8c539226c47b8db05126.jpg
7a17373b05deaa43a92cfe53569e502c.jpg
88b06152067d0ffc27a5de4324a7aa69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom