Hello from Winston-Salem, NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrampyO

I am fairly new at pen turning (started late August of 2011), however, I have worked with wood working tools since I was in the 7th grade. I probably had an interest well before that but officially in 7th grade is when I began to get my formal education.

I am now 71 years old, semi-retired and with the economy the way it is today, looking for a way to supplement my retirement funds. The wife and I have two boys, one married and one divorced, 4 grandchildren (a boy and girl each from our sons). We have lived in Winston-Salem for the past 36 years, northerners gone south to stay.

My pen turning is below a hundred, but not by much, and I have sold several but mostly to family members. I've also turned salt/pepper grinders, back scratcher, shaving kits and now looking at bottle stoppers.

I just designed a pen body that is almost ready for production that consists of painting the tubes, using a full wrap decal and then casting in clear resin (designed and casted a 6 cavity mold). It's the church's 50th anniversary and is the theme on the pen body.

I am looking forward to hearing from other pen turners as I still haven't scratched the surface of what I need to know to be successful at this game. As I learn more about this site I will try to share my experiences verbally and with pictures.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Paul, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

GrampyO

I had a sister-in-law and nephew that used to live in Elyria many years ago. Visited a couple of times, nice place but too cold for me. I was born in Uniontown, PA (1941). Thanks for the hello.

hanau

Hey GrampyO
Welcome I live in Thomasville and was born and raised in Elyria,Ohio
Haven't been back there since 95

Last edited:
Top Bottom