Hello from Western Maryland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bwilson

Hi everyone, my name is Brian and I am located in Maryland, but only a couple of miles away from Pennsylvania and West Virginia. I work at a university in Information Technology, but deal with Multimedia, so I joke that I am half Tech Geek and Half Art Geek...

I have been doing Photography for a decades and printmaking for the past four years. When I took a sculpture class, I found that I really loved woodturning and have always enjoyed all the different types of wood and other materials out there. I am relatively new to penmaking, but tend to be a perfectionist and my design interest drives me to look for unique materials (Rare woods, Trustone, M3, Volcanic Ash, Ebonite, etc.), parts (unique kits or making my own pen designs) and I will likely keep on practicing and giving gifts of the results until I consider my skills to be getting close to what I would want to buy for myself. Maybe then I will try selling a pen? Although for me, that is really not the reason I am in this. I view it as a passion, and would only feed money back into the equipment and materials.

I can still vividly recall the beauty of my mother's handwriting with a Parker Fountain Pen, so I have been researching the history of fine writing instruments and what is available today (I watched the YouTube series on Japanese Masters of Pen Making and was quite impressed as well as humbled!) I will likely move in this direction and take up the "Fountain Pen Hobby" so I at least know what I am striving for when I create a pen of this type (my Physics/Engineering training coming back to haunt me along with my perfectionist tendencies! :biggrin: ) Anyhow, in spite of that stuff, I do not take myself too seriously and am a bit of a goofball humor-wise. My interests in general are very eclectic and run to just about everything.

I find working with wood a nice break from computers/technology/modern life hassles and very relaxing! If you have any good sites you think I would be interested in or ever have questions or want to show me anything you or other people are working on, feel free to send a message, link or anything else!

Thanks and I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to. - Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom