Hello from VTS, Viet Nam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VTS

Hi everybody, I am Vo Thanh Son (VTS) from Viet Nam, a new member of the IAP. I am an amateur pen collector and want to learn and practice pen turning myself. I have not invested in any instruction book or pen kit or turning tools/equipment yet as I don't know what and where to start. I would love to receive your advice form your experience for a newbie like me.

Feeling excited and looking forward to making friends with you all

Cheers

VTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Welcome from the USA. Pen making is very enjoyable and there are many ways to get started. Do you know or can you find someone in your area that turns wood on a lathe?

Before I started, I found a couple of people within about 75 miles of my location. They allowed me to come and watch their work, then they helped me to learn how to do it myself.

magpens

Welcome to IAP !! You can also turn pens on a metal-working lathe. That's how I have been making pens for about 5 years.

VTS

Thank you Chris and Mal. Great to know that we could use the metal turning lathe. I will ask around to see if there are any wood turning shops nearby. Usually they are grouped together in a village specializing in wood turning.

VTS

Parshooter11

Hoan nghênh, VTS!! Welcome from Wisconsin!! Where does one start?? It can be an addictive process! In looking back...I investigated various lathes and tools first..and as others have said had the opportunity to go to woodworking shows where I could watch, learn, and ask questions. Try to focus on the skills first and get good turning down with the lesser cost pen kits...before you start to explore the artistic side....anyway..that's my belief!

Parshooter11

VTS, I should have added there is a tremendous amount of information in the IAP Library and video links, along with the various papers written!! Great stuff!

Top Bottom