Hello from Virigina (and temporaryily Moscow)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Hello all! I just noticed that there was an introductions forum so I figured I probably should make one since I've already recieved some great advice. My wife and I got addicted to making pens (and want to move onto bowls once we are a little more experienced) by my Dad over Christmas. I went to his bowl turning class at his local Woodcraft store and they taught me how to turn pens. I was hooked after the first one. I got so into it that I immediately had to try a segmented pen. The first one failed but taught me a lot. The second one failed, on my part, but my Dad saved it with some CA glue and saw dust (something I think I could repeat if needed.

My wife saw the pens I did and tried her hand at them. She has a much more delicate and patient touch than I do and was turning better pens from the first one :eek:.

About us - I'm in the Marine Corp, have been for more than 9 years now. My wife will soon be getting out of the Navy to follow me around. We are saving up for our shop (already have gotten some great advice through you guys) and will get it at my next duty station. Thankfully there is a woodshop on our current base (the only one that does in the NCR) and will be at our next two as well!

I'm looking forward to getting back to the states, taking a few pictures of the pens we did and the wood we bought in Russia, and posting them here.

So far everyone here has been more than helpfull.

Happy turnings!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Will do. Of course if this wood turns out well then I'll have to have friends bring back some each time we get deployed here.

Fred

Welcome to the Forum! Very glad to have you join up with us.

I also want to Thank You and your wife for your services to the Country. Hurry home and get to turning ASAP!

Druid

Nostrovia! Semper Fi,

Welcome aboard... Quantico is my backyard. I assume your on the Embassy detachment? Lot's of great people here and endless information.

jyreene

Welcome to you and your wife...
Which part of Virginia are you from..??

Not from Virginia, just stationed there for now, but in the Woodbridge area.

No, thankfully we are not here for the Embassy detachment. I'm actually here as a translator. So I don't have to follow the curfew the Marines here do!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ty. Glad to have you here and hope you continue to enjoy this along with making bowls too.

Below is a link to PDF file that gives a general and concise overview of different tools, methods and ideas related to pen turning. There are a couple of small mistakes in it that hopefully can be corrected soon, but still it may be helpful just as it is.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

tim self

Semper Fi!

Welcome jarhead. Not the only one here though. Yes this habit is addictive.
Just don't forget to ask questions when they come up. And they will.

hughbie

welcome welcome welcome to you and your wife Ty.

i'm a retired submariner and it's always good to see more of the military getting into this stuff.....

now, quietly, without all the others watching.....any good and neat woods over there you could bring back for me????? <wink>

Wild Turkey

Welcome Ty, and thanks for doing your turn for our country. This goes for the wife as well. I am number 2 on the list for woods from Russia right behind my friend in Springfield, MO. He beat me to it!!!!!

PenPal

Gday

Welcome from down under here in Australia as summer ends and changes take place.
According to my star sign I am a Virgin, not many of us around I believe.

Enjoy your visits to the Forum, I am reminded by the member here who always says give equal time to your wife on the lathe but judging by the number of families who have several cars like me in lathes I have several lathes so the smart thing is to buy two small enough for each of you to relocate easily.

Have fun and enjoy.

Regards Peter.

jyreene

Well, I'm already back from Russia and the wood did come in my luggage although a day late. I have a friend there now that if he manages to find more Russian wood from the same market he is going to buy some. If that happens I'll let everyone know and you can fight to the death with blown pen blanks for some!

Top Bottom