Hello from Virginia!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mcpesq817

Hi everyone,

New member here. My main woodworking hobby is building model ships, but in going online and to places like Woodcraft, and being a tool junkie, I always wanted to try pen turning. I bit the bullet earlier this week and bought some books on the subject, as well as some pen blanks, drill bits, a mandrel, and end mill/reamers.

Unfortunately, the Woodcraft salesman forgot to add the pencil kits I spent an hour picking out (and I didn't realize they weren't in the bag until I got home last night), so I need to pick up some kits (and associated drill bitts, etc.). I wasn't that excited by the Woodcraft kits, so probably will order kits from some of the recommended suppliers here. I'm mostly looking to start with a pencil for myself and some for my girls, so picked out a nice burl blank for me and colorful acrylic blanks for them.

I have a Sherline lathe which I will use to turn the pens. I have a few questions about what to get for it, which I'll post on the metal lathe board in a bit.

Thanks! Looking forward to reading and contributing to this board!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Michael, Welcome from Sterling!!

Can't help with the metal lathe but will answer other turning and pen question!

Check out Capital Area Woodturners we meet in Alexandria the second Saturday of the month.

mcpesq817

Thanks guys, really appreciate the warm welcome!

Charlie, hello neighbor! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check them out. Unfortunately my kids usually have activities on Saturday, but I'll see if I can make it work some months. Would be nice to learn how to actually get more use out of my lathe, I've only done very basic turning for my model ship building hobby on a Proxxon DB250 mini wood lathe. The Sherline is a big step up in flexibility, but also complexity.

Top Bottom