Hello from UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello from not so sunny Crossgates in Scotland, completely new to not just pen turning but woodwork in general, joined the familywoodworking forum recently & it was one of the members on that forum that suggested this was a good place to be.
Haven't had time to look about properly yet but had a quick look has convinced me that there is so much information here that I should be able to get totally confused very quickly :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Yes you'll be so inspired you won't know which way to turn (excuse the pun) welcome from Cheshire

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just a little about me as this is an introduction thread. I am ex Royal Navy, spent 20 years in Nuclear Submarines as a mechanical engineer running from Faslane which is approx 30 miles north of Glasgow, although I have lived in Scotland for over 40 years I was born in London & raised in Surrey.
Medically discharged in Aug 1994 following a major road traffic accident. Been working as a signmaker for the last 15 years or so but only doing vinyl type work, not traditionally trained although I would love to be able to paint properly lol.
I bought a broken cnc router (very cheaply) about 4 years ago knowing that with my engineering background I would be able to repair it with the view of being able to produce flat cut letters from plastics & Aluminium composite. Found software from Vectric which would allow me to produce the toolpaths required to actually cut the shapes so all was looking good.
Vectric have a very well supported forum & from that I discovered all the really fun things that could be done with a CNC that I hadn't even considered which got me started on the road to doing more things with Wood. I hadn't done any woodwork since school but it was one of the subjects I was better at & although I hadn't done anything personally I had always loved the look of wood. Having got interested in working with wood that then led to me buying/making more equipment to be able to extend the things I could do, over the last year I have picked up a couple of shopsmith machines cheaply which have helped me progress & start doing other things like some basic turning. I know the shopsmiths are not as good as dedicated machinery but they allow me to at least progress & I am having fun so that can't be bad lol

Welcome to the IAP Martin!

Thanks, looks like we have more in common than just living in Scotland, saw your photo of Sasha, this is Meg. Not a rescue dog like yours but another very intelligent Collie lol

Attachments

• meg.jpg
    meg.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom