Hello from Toronto

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smk

Hi all,

My name is Salman Khattak and I live in Toronto, Ontario. I joined this forum quite a while ago but I never did more than just read about all the awesome work everyone is doing.

I have recently developed a rather persistent desire to start carving/turning fountain pens and figured this would be the best place to get started down this rabbit hole.

I am looking for typical starter advice about tools (lathe, chisels, taps/dies etc.) which I am sure has been asked a million times before. I will be poring over the articles in the library and whatever else I can find :)

Oh - and I also do some woodcarving (mainly Calligraphy holders) as well as practice and teach Calligraphy.

Looking forward to soaking up as much information as possible from all the generous members here.

- Salman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Hi Salman. It was great meeting you at Scriptus this year.

It's good to see you testing your skills on fountain pens. After seeing your hand carved holders, I can't wait to see what you do with a fountain pen.

smk

Thank you for the warm welcome all.

Darrin - how cool to see you here. Thank you for the kind words. I must admit the ideas I have for fountain pens are rather ambitious but I think I better start with the basics first before I myself into too much trouble :)

- Salman

smk

Wow - this is an international forum indeed :)

I have been doing a lot of reading. The next step is to acquire a good lathe. I welcome any and all advice. I am looking for something that I can use for fairly accurate work but doesn't break the bank. I have been looking at the variable speed Rikon lathes on leevalley.com but would love to know if something comparable can be had for a little less outlay.

Thanks all for the very warm welcome.

Salman

JimB

Wow - this is an international forum indeed :)

I have been doing a lot of reading. The next step is to acquire a good lathe. I welcome any and all advice. I am looking for something that I can use for fairly accurate work but doesn't break the bank. I have been looking at the variable speed Rikon lathes on leevalley.com but would love to know if something comparable can be had for a little less outlay.

Thanks all for the very warm welcome.

Salman

Jet makes similar lathes to the Rikon. I don't know who distributes them in Canada but here in the USA there are many choices including Woodcraft, Rockler and Craft Supplies to name a few.

Top Bottom