Hello from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ceifeiro

Hello everyone. I have had woodworking equipment for a while now, but never a lathe. This past Christmas holiday while we were visiting my in-laws, my father-in-law taught my daughter how to turn pens. i figured if she was going to be in the shop I needed to know what she was doing so I had him show me also. Once my wife saw that my daughter was interested in something besides a computer that was it. As soon as we got home we purchased a lathe and some turning tools. A friend of mine who also turns pens hooked us up with some different kinds of kits and wood blanks and it has been crazy since then.

Below is my first pen. It is from a plane oak blank that my father-in-law had cut. It is just finished with bee's wax and the kit is a gunmetal slimline.

If I can keep my daughter off the lathe long enough I hope to make and post other pens and welcome advice on how to improve.

Attachments

• First Pen.jpg
    First Pen.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

Welcome to my hubby! Happy to have an activity the family is enjoying together besides video games! If everyone in the family keeps turning, we might have to invest in a second lathe! I haven't had a chance to learn how to turn pens so I will be posting photos of the kids stuff and encouraged Brian (Ceifeiro) to join so he can post his stuff to his own account. We have already learned a lot and are enjoying seeing everyone's beautiful craftsmanship.

Aggie182, we are northeast of Dallas. Moved here from Louisiana 22 years ago and fell in love with Texas.

jsolie

Welcome from Southern California! It's great that you have such interest from your family. Post some pics of your daughter's pens as well!

Top Bottom