Hello from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Just joined the forum... looking to learn about pen turning. I've actually never turned a pen nor do I own a lathe yet. But I want to start off right so I'm doing my due diligence.

My first order of business is trying to find out the right lathe to buy on a budget. That's how I found this site actually via Google.

Seems like a nice, helpful, and active forum. I look forward to it. And hopefully I can have a pen to post about soon!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome from Ohio! Use the library link for general stuff (very helpful) - and keep asking questions.

My thoughts on a lathe... If only pens, I have a Jet mini (my budget was tight at that time, so no variable speed - if I had to do it again, I would get the variable speed). Rikon also makes a good mini from what I hear (i've never used).

If you have patience - watch for sales and go to Amazon and e-bay. I have bought very little at full price over the past 2 years since starting.

After the lathe... check out the IAP vendors - my opinion... I prefer if possible to buy from friends (even though we b.itch at each other and argue a lot :)). I have a small business, others have small businesses... I like the personal service from IAP members.

ENJOY and have fun!

Mark

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmm, well hello Quality Pen from Texas, :wink:
With a name like that, you'll fit in perfectly with our resident anal debaters!:biggrin:

Just kidding, it's just that 'Quality' is always such a 'fun' topic around here.
Do you have a real name? You sound familiar.:)

Quality Pen

Thank you for the warm welcome. My name is actually Bobby. Im from Southeast Texas near Beaumont.

As far as the username, I like the word "quality" and if you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance you'd kind of know why I guess. It's a good word :D .

ossaguy

Hi Bobby, Welcome from San Diego!

Now you will need to put the Zen pen kit on your future pen project list. (Exotic Blanks & Crafts Supplies USA sells them,in case you didn't know.)

There are a lot of folks here from Tx.,I'll bet there are club meetings you could attend.

Have fun turning!

Steve

plano_harry

Yes, welcome from Texas! We are all friends here (except for that one guy) and you might have some fellow turners nearby -- so gives us some clues in your profile :) Also, you might want to subscribe to the appropriate chapter forum to find out about meetings in your area and watch some pens being turned.

Harry

Top Bottom