Hello From Tampa!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AngryRhino

Hello All,

My name is Michael, and I am a brand spanking new pen turner. I've never touched a lathe or done any real wood working in my life, so this is all pretty new to me.

The sum total of my experience is only what I've had turning all of two pens so far, both slim line. As I am self taught from articles and youtube vids, my two slim lines are both complete straight (no swells, etc...) as I don't exactly know how to do that yet! (We were all new at something at some time, yes?)

My set up is currently a Delta 455 Lathe--which I also do my drilling on--, and a Sorby 3/4" spindle gouge / parting tool. (Should be getting a Skew in on Friday at my local Woodcrafters--20% off sale--though it's a little intimidating...)

I've attached a picture of my second pen attempt (Cocobolo). It was made entirely with the spindle gouge. I then sanded it with 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, and then micro meshed to 12000. I put a few drops of teak oil on it, then applied as best a CA finish as I could. Finally, I used some HUT plastic polish on it. (I have some Ren Wax on order, which will be the top coat when it comes.) Please excuse the poor phone pic, I'm no photographer, and the pen is actually much shinier in person. I know the pen is nowhere near the level of what you guys do, but I'm hoping to get there someday.

1ljPgYv.png

I hope to learn a lot while I'm here!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AngryRhino

Thank you all for the warm welcome! As of this evening, I have now turned 3 pens! Below is the one I did tonight in Ancient Kauri. The wood is perhaps one of the most plain looking I've seen in the rough, but the gold and white iridescence when it's turned is beautiful. Again, crappy pics! Lol

And who doesn't like the irony involved in a pen that pre-dates history?

TKa1vXa.png

turncrazy43

Michael, nice job on both pen #2 and #3. Keep it up and Welcome to IAP from Georgia.

OZturner

Welcome and congratulations from Sydney Australia.
Pens 2 & 3 look fine, I can't see any reason to apologise, all you need is a handfull of "experience" and with that you will gain a bucket full of "confidence".
From where I sit, that is about all you need.
Keep up the good work.
Brian

PeetyInMich

Great start, and hello from Monroe Michigan. Chatoyance might be what you are seeing in the pen (its a good thing). Slims are a great way to start since you have two blanks per pen to practice on and alignment top to bottom as well (and they are cheap). Don't let it become repetitive though, throw in some curves, it lets you get creative with the tooling and sanding with something other than a block, try some acrylics, they turn differently than wood (try many different materials, they all "feel" and work differently). Don't be afraid to use sandpaper, Trustone (depending on the color) for example can be brittle and hard on tooling (even carbide) but my experience is that is sands almost like basswood, so if you like you can add that arrow to your quiver. Try a simple segmented pen, a little colored acrylic at the ends or middle of some wood. Or a sliver of aluminum (pop can or thicker material) or a piece of a CD. Contrasting wood sliced in at an angle. Also the suppliers that advertise on this site are second to none, and would I have no reservations directing you to take full advantage of the products and services that they provide at a competitive price point. Most of all enjoy the "hobby".

Sub Vet 10

Welcome Michael. The first one looks very nice. The coloring of the cocobolo is good and you lined up the grains. I would not be so hard on yourself, slimlines are not the easiest of kits. I started off on Euros (another two piece kit) and had trouble with the fact that "there is no wrong way to do it"
Enjoy!

AngryRhino

Try a simple segmented pen, a little colored acrylic at the ends or middle of some wood. Or a sliver of aluminum (pop can or thicker material) or a piece of a CD. Contrasting wood sliced in at an angle.

Hmm, color me intrigued. How does one do the segmentation? Do you saw your blank, insert a squared up piece of whatever, and then glue them and turn it?

Thanks for the idea!

Top Bottom