Hello from Surprise, AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe L

Just found this forum... just registered. I saw a guy turn a pen last year and finally turned my first pen sometime in July of 2008. Although I have turned several pens... bought a couple books, boughts supplies from a few on-line sources... I thought I was doing fine.... until I started reading the stuff on this forum and took a look at the talent you folks have produced.

WoW! I hope to attend the Feb 6th Mesa event. I'll be the quiet one...sneaking in<grin>

I've got questions... what the heck is a pressure pot? I am thinking about trying to cast pen blanks.
-joe L

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

welcome from ireland,
did you know new members have to send a blank to each and every 6,930 of us :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome Joe, I am Rodger and also new to this forum....waiting on weather to warm up so I can get out in shop and get started.

Joe L

Thanks for the welcome... I guess I am joining the army of the "hooked on turning". I haven't so much fun in a long time... like a kid in a candy store. Got an idea or two and decided to "think about casting". So I bought a $39 casting kit... found this forum and quickly understood I didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing (even before using the kit). Thus far I've check out "casting" in the library and definitely realize I'm over my head<sigh>... Pressure pot sounds nice (from all I've read) but still wouldn't recognize it if someone placed it before me<grin>

Bought a cheapie lathe (MK-1) when I should have spent a few more bucks ... heck I'm learning more lessons before even turning<grin> Anyone want some lemonade... I seem to be making all the 'wrong moves'<grin>

Great group...thans!
-joe L

dasimm

Welcome Joe,

The Pressure Vessels (PV) you read about are used in some of the different casting processes for Lumalite and Acrylics. There are different schools of thought on why to use a PV when you cast.

Chemically what is happening when casting, the hardener (the monomer) will want to convert to a gas at atmosphere, and will tend to form new bubbles within the resin. By pressurizing the process you prevent this reaction from occuring and you keep the monomer in a liquid state until it bonds with the resin.

Another reason is that it will also help the very viscous material move into voids it normally might reach at atmosphere.

Hope that answers your question.

Top Bottom