Hello from sunny South Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think it is about time to also say hello, so HELLO.
I have been following the discussions a while and was hesitant to make an introduction because I started off by ordering the well known "pen turners bible" and thereafter started ordering pen kits. Unfortunately we had a strike in our postal service with the final result that my book arrived about six weeks after my kits. So I started teaching myself and I must say I have gained a lot of (costly) experience.
In any case I am carrying on and when I think I have something worthwile I shall post pictures.:biggrin:
I do however have a problem and iff nessesary will post it on FAQ so I am mentioning here:The pen kits available here have a marking on the fountain pen nibs : "Ridium Point Germany" What happens is that while writing just all of a sudden out of the blue several large drops of ink will just drop out! Is this a commen ocurrence ? Am I doing something wrong when putting the pen together? It is a lovely smooth nib to write with.
I would appreciate your comments
Regards
Attie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome from New Hampshire Attie. I am not too sure about your nib problem but it sounds like it is just a little too wet. Look around on Youtube for nib tuning instructions and you will find a wealth of information.

Buzzzz4

Welcome to the fun! Nibs can be challenging. Learning how to tune them takes a bit of practice. Mike is pointing you in a good direction.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Baie welkom na IAP, Attie:biggrin:

Where about in SA are you from? I think we have 5 or 6 members from SA now. :wink:

JohnGreco

Welcome!

For the nib, I wonder if the feed is down too low. Try sliding the nib out a little bit and see if that solves the problem. If you are looking straight at the nib (the part that says iridium point germany), you shouldn't be able to see the feed behind it. The bottom of the feed should be flush to the edges of the nib, but if it is and you are getting big drops, you may need to slightly adjust where those 2 meet.

Scruffy

Welcome

From southern USA... Alabama... Your location makes me wonder. How many countries and states we have represented?

Enjoy..experimentation is all part of the fun.

Alan

broitblat

Welcome, Attie.

I can't say that I've ever had the issue with the ink coming out in drops, but I also haven't spent a huge amount of time with a fountain pen.

-Barry

PeterBkk7

Hi Attie.... Welcome to the site..

I live in Bangkok and we have a few exotic woods here.... Would you be interested in swapping half a dozen of your exotics for some of mine. We each get six of the best for the cost of postage....

I've been turning about 4 years but pens only about two and am hooked.... So beware...

Chrs

Pete
Bangkok 13.4.2013

Top Bottom