Hello from Springfield Missouri!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

odexyn

Hello everyone. As the title says I am in Springfield Missouri. I have been around woodworking all of my life, and started accumulating my shop about 6 years ago. About a month ago my wife said she thought turning pens would be fun. I haven't touch a lathe in over 10 years back in high school. So I went to grizzly and bought there 10x16 variable speed lathe and started down the rabbit hole. Not a week after buying the lathe I had an issue with the motor so I had to take it back. They exchanged it no problem and I went back home with a new machine. It also had motor problems so I took it back. They informed me that there may be a quality issue that they need to look further into and would not let me exchange it for the same model until they had an opportunity to pull there entire stock and test them. Well there was only one thing to do at that point; upgrade! I settled with spending twice as much on more lathe then I know what to do with; a Grizzly G0462. After getting it home and set up I set out to make a few pens. In the past month I have made just over 50 pens and can't stop. I have also made a few bowls and table legs. I don't know what I was thinking not getting a lathe sooner.

Thank you for having me as a member and I look forward to growing with you all and learning from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Welcome. Don't worry about rabbit holes - it gets much worse.:wink:

When you wake up thinking how to turn everything in your house and yard into a pen, you'll be off to a good start.:)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP!
Springfield has quite a few pen turners on here. I get up there 3 to 4 times a year and make it to Grizzly.

I have the 0462 also.

Last edited:

Burb

Paul, welcome to the site. Though I must confess I'm not on here as much as I wish I were. I'm in Republic myself. There are several pen turners in the Springfield area as someone mentioned. Let me know if there is something I can help with.

I'd like to invite you to the area AAW club. The Woodturners of SW Missouri has about 120 members. Lots of great people. http://www.woodturnersofswmo.org/

Also, when it comes to needing pen kits & supplies, there are 2 great resources close by. www.ClassicNib.com is in Aurora and www.WoodnWhimsies.com is in Monett. Both offer outstanding customer service.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom