Hello from Southern Oregon!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sfhipchick

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are about to get back into turning and we're so excited!

We had a pair of lathes for some years but a couple of years ago a wildfire raced through part of our property and took out our shop and everything in it. All of our tools, all of our machines, including our amazing collection of dozens of pen kits, blanks, a few bowl blanks, and chunks of burls and logs for harvesting. We had such a wonderful collection of burled, spalted and exotic wood blanks...it totally breaks my heart when I think of the loss. :(

We haven't had the heart to get back into turning until now, but now that we've made the decision, we're slowly buying things we need. We have yet to get our pen blanks and kits as well. I'm still trying to get over feeling terribly upset at losing my beautiful blanks. :(

We bought another Jet lathe like our last, and lots to go with it. Every time I look at it, I get more excited!!

I would love to have some advice!

We need to get our turning tools...I had Sorbys before, is that still a good choice for turning pens?

What about these new carbide tipped tools with the replaceable tips? I see that some seem to swear by them, others are strictly old-school.

What are your pen-turning tools of choice?

Where should I go to get reasonable deals on burled/spalted pen blanks?

I'm also interested in the new and wonderful selection of resin/acrylic pens--so much variety! Any suggestions for a good place to go for a variety pens?

(I'm going to be very interested in learning how to create hybrid blanks of spalted/rotted/punky wood with colored resins...something to look forward to!)

I'm not trying to make money at this point, does it make sense to buy a chunk of something and cut it down into pen blanks or should I just get singles?

Is there anywhere you would suggest where I might get a good deal on a variety of nice blanks that include a large variety of burled/spalted/mix of cool grained/swirly/interesting blanks?

Thank you for your input! I'm really looking forward to getting back into turning. It's such a wonderful outlet for my creativity!

I'm including a picture of a few of the pens I turned for a bit of show and tell!

Attachments

• amboynaleft.jpg
    amboynaleft.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 249
  • buckeye burl pen2.jpg
    buckeye burl pen2.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 254
  • spalted pen.jpg
    spalted pen.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Zebra2web.jpg
    Zebra2web.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 188
  • RMPenWeb.jpg
    RMPenWeb.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gwatson50

Welcome back. You do have great taste in wood! Out the ashes... in southern Oregon you must be relatively close to Cook Woods... they sell some primo blanks too. I use nothing but carbide Tools but would have to have a little more experience with the standard tools before making a recommendation. It's just that sharpening is a skill all its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sfhipchick

Hi there, and thank you for your quick reply and advice! :)
TY for your opinion on carbide tools :)
Question: can you guestimate how many pens you can turn before you need to change the tip on your main turning tool?
We have a new grinder for sharpening tools, but you're right...sharpening really is a craft all to its own.
I'll have to find out about Cook Woods!

Last edited:

magpens

Welcome back to one of the most fascinating and rewarding websites and activities. . I feel very sorry for your losses of a few years ago but I am happy to see you rising above that and starting afresh.

We are lucky to have some excellent and very helpful vendors as active members of this website. . I am sure you will get very willing help and advice from them as well as from the "ordinary" members of this community of penturners. . Glad to have you here.

I use nothing but carbide tools and find them fully adequate for what I do.
If you are careful with them, you can easily turn a couple of hundred pens without having to replace the carbide cutters. . My "trick" is to use a slightly worn/used cutter for roughing work and then switch to a fairly new cutter for doing the last 20 thou of turning.

However, I would like at some time to develop the skills to use (and sharpen) "traditional" woodturning chisels. . From what I know about them, Sorby tools are among the best but there are American-made tools that are equally good. . There are several makers of outstanding HSS tools in USA. . The only name that my brain comes up with at the moment is Carter and Son, but there are certainly several others.

As for blanks, I doubt you will find a supplier of a "mixed bag" of burl blanks ... you will have to source them individually as far as I know. . If you keep your eyes open you can often pick them up from other members on this website. . You can also find them on Ebay and I am thinking of a couple of vendors in Hawaii who offer excellent products of very attractive woods ... do a search for "HawaiianWoodworks" or similar.

Australian burls are very nice ... check with Robutacion on this website. . His name is George Valentine and he ships quite economically from Australia.

I do think that it is practical and economical to buy large pieces and cut them up into pen blank sizes.

As for "acrylic" blanks, my favorites are the Alumilite blanks made and sold by ElMostro, a member on this website ... you can get them also from a number of agents he sells through including www.ExoticBlanks.com and Bear Tooth Woods to name just two ... look for Lava, Lava Explosion, and Vapor blanks. . His name is Eugene Soto and he also makes hybrid blanks using "worthless" wood and Alumilite. . Alumilite is extremely nice to turn, does not chip easily, and takes threads very well. . I highly recommend Eugene's blanks which are made in Texas.

Another Alumilite blank fabricator worthy of sincere recommendation is Jeff Powell who sells his "Rotacrylic" line and other styles including "worthless" wood through www.ExoticBlanks.com.

Hope these comments help you get started again.

Last edited:

sfhipchick

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed reply! So much great information and advice! I will be looking around at the names & links you mentioned. You are awesome! :)

sfhipchick

Thank you very much, both for the welcome and for the kind remarks on my pens! :)

OZturner

Welcome back, sad story about the Fire,
Very Nice assortment of Pens,
For Kits, have a look, at Exotic Woods, Woodturningz, Penn State Industries, Berea, Bear Tooth Woods, plus of course Rockler, and Woodcraft.
Regarding Tool Preference, while Not trying to confuse you, but to balance up the score a little.
I prefer the traditional HSS tools. and I do have many Robert Sorby Tools in my Arsenal.
As you previously had Sorby Tools, how did you go sharpening them?
Regards,
Brian.

sfhipchick

Hi there Brian! TY for the comment and advice!
Thanks too for the compliments...I've turned a bunch of them, the Amboyna is my favorite! :) I'm so glad it got turned and not burned! :)
I'll take a look at the websites you suggested...I see that Exotic Woods is in your recommendations--Mal pointed me there too, and I just placed an order for 5 each of 5 types of pen kits, and tomorrow my husband will order the pen mandrel, pen assembly tool, different types of sandpaper in standard, strips and super fine (isn't micro mesh the bomb?! I look forward to using that again! :D ), and the CA glues etc...

RE tools, you're not confusing me with your comment and it's a very fair one: HSS or carbide. (I know there are several other types as well)...also, you get what you pay for. I have never tried carbide, and I am very interested in trying this type out, BUT we have a grinder and my husband is very good at sharpening our tools, so I think we'll go ahead with Sorby tools for now. I may have to pick up a carbide tool down the road...they really turn pens nicely from the videos I've seen.

BTW, I love your siggy...it's true...why hold onto something forever until that RIGHT time...I kick myself every time I think of those pen blanks, all gone and burned up now. If I'd gotten to some of them, they would be pens and not ashes. *cry* Well, enough of the past. It's time to get me some new pen blanks! :) *rubs hands together*

Woodchipper

Welcome back. Sorry to hear of the tremendous loss from the fire. FWIW, I use HSS tools from HF. Bought them years ago when I started turning. I did spend the $$$ and bought a slow speed grinder to sharpen them with the Wolverine grinding jig.

sfhipchick

Hi Woodchipper! :)

Thank you for your kind note. It really has been nice to get so many warm pats of support here in regards to all of that lost wood. The thing is, nobody but a turner or woodworker who deals with specialty exotics would understand how it bites every time I think about it. So thank you. It means a lot.

Ah yes, I have read that many folks go the route of HSS via Harbor Freight and just keep the tools sharpened with a slow grinder. Nice one. My husband has a brand new slow grinder sitting in its box underneath the Jet lathe box! It's a Jet...and we ALSO have the Wolverine grinding jig sitting in its box, waiting for a chance to do its job. Great minds think alike? :)

It won't be long now before I'm turning pens again (bowls and pens for my husband)! EXCITED!

PenPal

Morning here I use streamline centre bands with slimlines as displayed, they allow a fatter pen. If you are buying now get streamlines first up with this banding. Loved that first pen.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0031.JPG
    DSCF0031.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0045.JPG
    DSCF0045.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 147

sfhipchick

Hello there! Thank you for the advice, I have that type of kit coming, and I agree, I like the slightly wider pen. Thanks also for your kind remark on my pen, that one turned out so nicely...and you have to know I was sweating bricks because I didn't want to mess up that incredible burl! :) *WHEW* and then...WOO HOO!! :) Burls like that you can just sit and stare at for the longest time. I look for shapes and faces. Fun stuff! :)

Woodchipper

Just a bit more- I used the small roughing gouge to shape my pens. Haven't mastered the skew but it's on the list. For fine work, I plan on grinding down some cheap HF screwdrivers that you get for free. I think I can use then for fine work and shapes.

sfhipchick

Hey, thanks for the advice, Woodchipper! :) Oh, now that's a clever idea, grinding down screwdrivers for fine work!

It's interesting what people like for their personal tools. There are many ways to skin this cat! :)

OZturner

Hi there Brian! TY for the comment and advice!
Thanks too for the compliments...I've turned a bunch of them, the Amboyna is my favorite! :) I'm so glad it got turned and not burned! :)
I'll take a look at the websites you suggested...I see that Exotic Woods is in your recommendations--Mal pointed me there too, and I just placed an order for 5 each of 5 types of pen kits, and tomorrow my husband will order the pen mandrel, pen assembly tool, different types of sandpaper in standard, strips and super fine (isn't micro mesh the bomb?! I look forward to using that again! :D ), and the CA glues etc...

RE tools, you're not confusing me with your comment and it's a very fair one: HSS or carbide. (I know there are several other types as well)...also, you get what you pay for. I have never tried carbide, and I am very interested in trying this type out, BUT we have a grinder and my husband is very good at sharpening our tools, so I think we'll go ahead with Sorby tools for now. I may have to pick up a carbide tool down the road...they really turn pens nicely from the videos I've seen.

BTW, I love your siggy...it's true...why hold onto something forever until that RIGHT time...I kick myself every time I think of those pen blanks, all gone and burned up now. If I'd gotten to some of them, they would be pens and not ashes. *cry* Well, enough of the past. It's time to get me some new pen blanks! :) *rubs hands together*

Hi, sfhipchick
While you are stocking.
I have not used any Sand or Conventional papers for several years.
I use 5" x 3" (approx) Abranet which is a Hook and Loop Woven Abrasive.
I use from 120 to 800, before I move to Micro Mesh (Dry).
I also use their soft Sponge Interface, this holds the Abranet flat, for ease of Finishing.
The main benefit of Abranet, is that being Woven the removed dust is easily tapped away from the Cutting edges, and can be throughly cleaned, by putting them in the Ladies "Soft Wash Bags", and putting through your washing machine.
The only draw back, is that like all abrasives, you must keep it moving across the surface, for if it get too hot, it can start to melt the Weave materials.
I purchase mine from the a Supplier in the UK, via Ebay, their name is "Rest-Express". They sell the Abranet in assorted Grades, where as most others want you to buy a Box of each Grade.
Hope this is of some assistance for you.
Brian.

sfhipchick

Oh THANK YOU for this advice!! Steve hasn't ordered anything just yet so I'll let him know about Abranet. We'll get that for sure--my memory is that sandpaper is way too aggressive and can leave nasty grooves which take a long time to smooth out. Your recommendation is EXACTLY what I want to learn: what are better alternatives to the way we were doing things. I shall go take a look at Abranet and the Sponge Interface.

Fantastic. :)

jdclaus

Tools

Hi from WA state,8
I want to get a word in regarding tools and pen making. I really like my HSS tools. Learning to sharpen them is an adventure, but we'll worth it. Get a CBN wheel for your grinder, they make a huge difference. Buy a box of cheap Harbor Freight turning tools and grind on them until you get it figured out.
I have one carbide tool, because I won it a couple years ago at the Utah symposium. I must say it works well. And I do use it for pens.
In my humble (but, of course, well informed ) opinion, the best steel tools you can buy are D-Way tools. You can find then online. They are American made. Great steel and very sharp. Dave, who makes them, is an exceptional​ Turner, so he knows what wood Turners need.
I find buying lumber and cutting blanks is the least expensive way to go. That being said, sometimes you just have to buy. I am enjoying pouring some of my own acrylic blanks now as well.
There! Whew! Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

sfhipchick

Hi JD, thanks for taking the time to write! It's nice to hear that HSS tools are working out well for you. That's what I used to have as well and we are about to purchase a mini set for me, but I am thinking I may also get a carbide tool or two so I can try them out as well. (I'm hoping to get a pair from hanau at www.ncwoodturningtools.com if he has something available)

I mentioned CBN wheels to my husband after checking out our new grinder. We have a Jet 8" bench version waiting to be set up over at the shop, but it has aluminum oxide wheels. Steve is actually watching a video over at D-Way right now, and is going to change his mind from the tools he was about to purchase, and now thinks he'll get D-Ways. My problem is they are too big for me, and there are no pen tools, so I will get something else. The videos are very impressive though and it's too bad they don't have tools for smaller hands! You have me wondering though...do you use D-Way tools to turn pens?

Regarding pen blanks: you are not the first person to suggest cutting down lumber, and it really does seem like the best way to go about it. We'll look around and see what we can find, but of course, when it comes to specialty stuff like burls, I don't know how possible that will be. We *DO* live close enough to Cook Woods that we'll be paying them a visit, and hopefully we can get some cream-of-the-crop stuff at a higher initial outlay but by cutting down and selling off the excess to others, it may be a nice way to do things and save a lot of money. Lots to think about...

Not to mention...our property is covered with trees that have burls on them, some of which we may be able to get at without doing too much harm (removing a branch with a burl but not the whole tree. We wouldn't remove just the "bump" of a burl though, since the burling goes through to the center, so I've read. (And I would never cut a tree down for a burl) There are plenty of very interesting downed trees with burls, punky and spalted wood to look into. We are both very excited about creating hybrid pens. I love the idea of taking garbage wood and turning it into a masterpiece. I've done that with other things and there's no feeling quite like the one you get from creating a diamond from a junky pebble. It means so much more! :)

Gwatson50

Hi there, and thank you for your quick reply and advice! :)
TY for your opinion on carbide tools :)
Question: can you guestimate how many pens you can turn before you need to change the tip on your main turning tool?
We have a new grinder for sharpening tools, but you're right...sharpening really is a craft all to its own.
I'll have to find out about Cook Woods!

Like most things, how many blanks you can turn with a carbide tool before having to replace the blade, depends on the material you generally turn and the specific blank. If turning segmented blanks with ferrous metal accents... you will be replacing the blade every four blanks!!! If turning homogenous blanks you are good to go for at least 8 per blade... better turners will squeeze more out of a blade, etc. oddly, keeping track of how many times I have used the blade's quarter surface seems to be a challenge! I think some people can actually use a diamond cutter to re-sharpen the blade. I believe cook woods is in Medford. Best wishes for rebuilding this cool craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sfhipchick

Hi Gwatson! :) Thank you for your input and of course what you say makes complete sense. My husband will be getting some Crown PM tools and upon further study, learned that a normal grinder will not sharpen these tools sufficiently. So we'll be picking up a CBN wheel (thank you jdclaus for the head's up!) which will be able to sharpen those tools and will also be able to sharpen any carbide-tipped turning tools that I pick up.

Cook Woods is in Klamath, just a short distance from Medford. A pity they are closed on the weekends. We'll try to make it out there one day during the week at some point... I am picturing a scene not unlike screaming kids running into the living room on Christmas morning... *snicker*

Finally, thank you for your kind wishes. We are bubbling with ideas, both for turning and for woodworking projects to make our new shop its very best! :)

Top Bottom