Hello from Southern Illinois.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim foster

Hello my name is Tim and I have been turning pens for about 3 weeks. Wow IAP is a great forum to learn new things about turning. I'm currently using an old Craftsman lathe. It works ok but I want to get a new one very soon. Maybe a Jet. I have not decided yet. I would really like to buy an American made lathe. Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Tim Foster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

james1725

Hello Tim,

Welcome, glad your here and good luck with your quest for a new lathe. I'm using an old HF so I'm not much help but from what I hear you cant go wrong with a Jet.

Probably what I'll get when I replace this one. I had a Shop Fox before and had no problems with it. If I were you I would for sure look at a varable speed.

Just my thoughts.

I use to pick some bluegrass with a bunch of great guys from Floria, IL You anywhere close to that part of the state?

DSallee

Hi Tim!! Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure others will chime in on the lathe ideas but I will give you my take... I used to have a Jet 1014i and loved it!! I got out of turning for a while and sold everything, long story... but now I'm also looking into getting another one...

Depending on the amount of money you want to invest, these are my two im looking closely at...

Another Jet 1014i or possibly the Jet 1014vsi version...

Or the Delta 46-460 Variable speed.

Both have excellent reviews and very little problems. Again, it depends on the anount of money you want to invest and what you want to do with it. These will do great on pens and smaller bowls and such... I also advise to make sure its an MT2 mount whatever you decide to get. More accessory options!!

Good luck in your search and again, welcome to the vortex!!!

Happy turning!!

seamus7227

hey Tim, welcome to the group from Wichita Falls, TX!~ I bought a Jet1220VS and love it! Got a smokin deal on Amazon.com for $519 shipped to my doorstep.

ctubbs

Welcome Tim, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Where in Southern IL do you live? I am in Murray, KY, just across the creek. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

SDB777

Lots of nice lathe types already being tossed into the 'ring' here....so I'll say WELCOME!!!!

Scott (the vortex says go turn something) B

OKLAHOMAN

Welcome to the IAP, great bunch of guys here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dave gave great advise on the lathe. My wifes from Southern Ill. a small town called Pickneyville.

tim foster

I live in Marion, Illinois. Thanks to everyone for the welcomes. Im thinking the Jet lathe is going to be the one that I will get. I just have to save up enough money.
Tim

Top Bottom