Hello, from Southern California I am

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

iMattDaddy

Hi all, my name is Matt and just wanted to stop by and say hi. I am in my mid 30's (for the next 4 years). My high school sweetheart and I have been married for 14 years and have two young boys (both have autism, one is slight, one severe, both are awesome).
I haven't been turning long, got a lathe less than a year ago, and have just been trying to find reasons and things to turn. My parents have been asking me for the last 6 months what I wanted for my birthday (nearly 6 months ago) and I really couldn't come up with anything. I had been eyeing pen turning kits for quite a while, but hadn't put it together that it would be a great b-day gift until just this last weekend. My mom was thrilled when I asked for her own selfish reasons. So off we went to rockler, I have no idea how my total turned out to be 2x more than the kit costs :confused::confused:
So getting home after closing down rockler, I was up till near midnight turning my first pen, and to my surprise with very acceptable results (even for a perfectionist). The next day on the intranet I now have a shopping cart full of pen kits, and no money to buy them, and no willpower to reduce the number of my eventual purchase.

So here I am... I guess a proper introduction should be made at this point. Hi, my name is Matt and I am addicted to turning pens.

I have lots to learn, and will be reading lots, and searching these forums for all the answers.

If you were able to last this far in my introduction, thank you and I'm sorry. If not, good for you.

I'll talk to you all soon, and look forward to reading all your 5 billion contradictory tips. :wink:

Take care,

Matthew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Welcome Matt from Louisiana. Sorry to say that you already have something wrong. None of us are contradictory. We actually all agree. Just because that agreement is to disagree on many things does not make us contradictory, does it? See, we are already in agreement to disagree, so you are officially one of us now. The one thing we all do agree on is to try as many methods as you can and settle on what works for you best. Good luck and if you search long enough on here you will find the 12 step program to break this addiction. (Hint: No one has ever found out if it works or not).

iMattDaddy

Thank you all for the kind welcomes.

I made my 3rd pen last night, first two went to myself and my wife... Third sold to a co-worker who hugged it when I gave it to her.

The last slimline in my starter kit, so now I guess I really do have to place that order I was waiting on.

In just 3 pens I have learned a lot already, each one a bit better than the last. Although I did have to basically shape the 3rd twice. When I went to assemble, I found that I didn't turn down the ends of either piece quite enough. I had a bit of build up from the CA glue on the bushings. So I put it back on the lathe and took my parting tool to the bushings to knock off the glue, then sanded the nice finish I had put on it all the way down to the wood at all ends to get a better fit. Then refinished it. Another lesson learned, and this one at least profitable.

Slimline Padauk

Thanks again all!
Matthew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 96

csr67

Welcome from another fellow Southern Californian! Nice first pen! Ahhh, the veritable slim line! I too started out with a Rockler slimline and then realized it's probably the hardest pen to make! Try some one piece Sierra twist pens, much more rewarding!

I've been at this almost a year, and you'll progress quickly if you hang out here and read a lot! My pen making improved 100% once I found the IAP!

iMattDaddy

Welcome from another fellow Southern Californian! Nice first pen! Ahhh, the veritable slim line! I too started out with a Rockler slimline and then realized it's probably the hardest pen to make! Try some one piece Sierra twist pens, much more rewarding!

I've been at this almost a year, and you'll progress quickly if you hang out here and read a lot! My pen making improved 100% once I found the IAP!

Thank you. Yes I know right where Eastvale is, I've lived 99% of my life in Riverside, so I know the surrounding areas pretty well.

I like the slimline kit ok, I like the price the best, but it's not my first pick. I see why some people would like it, and I'm fine with that. I will probably order and make a few more of them. I do like that they have a matching pencil kit for most of them, I do still like using mechanical pencils. I will keep my first one with Zebrawood.

Where do most people get their kits from? I think trying a variety of different kits is a good idea but I don't want to make the mistake of getting cheap pens either. I'll check out the Sierra one. Thanks for the recommendation.

iMattDaddy

Is there a thread on here for critiques of your work? Although the biggest critiques would probably be my photos at this point. Just would like to know what those who know what they're doing and looking for would pick on with what I've done.

jsolie

Where do most people get their kits from? I think trying a variety of different kits is a good idea but I don't want to make the mistake of getting cheap pens either. I'll check out the Sierra one. Thanks for the recommendation.

I mainly get them from the different vendors here on IAP (Exotics, Smitty, ClassicNib), as well as Craft Supplies. Craft Supplies calls their version of the Sierra the Sienna.

If all you've done are slimlines, you'll need another drill bit and a set of bushings. Sierras are a lot of fun to make, and are drop dead simple to put together.

Is there a thread on here for critiques of your work? Although the biggest critiques would probably be my photos at this point. Just would like to know what those who know what they're doing and looking for would pick on with what I've done.

The "Show Off Your Pens!" forum. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ Just be sure to add that you'd like critique. A lot of folks just share pics there. It's a great forum to draw inspiration from as well as be awed by some amazing pens.

Last edited:

csr67

Thank you. Yes I know right where Eastvale is, I've lived 99% of my life in Riverside, so I know the surrounding areas pretty well.

I like the slimline kit ok, I like the price the best, but it's not my first pick. I see why some people would like it, and I'm fine with that. I will probably order and make a few more of them. I do like that they have a matching pencil kit for most of them, I do still like using mechanical pencils. I will keep my first one with Zebrawood.

After buying locally from Rockler and Woodcraft, I switched to IAP vendors for better product and better prices. Smitty's Penworks and Exotic Blanks are my two favorites for quality, great service, and good prices.

iMattDaddy

After buying locally from Rockler and Woodcraft, I switched to IAP vendors for better product and better prices. Smitty's Penworks and Exotic Blanks are my two favorites for quality, great service, and good prices.

Thanks for the recommendations. I chose rockler because that's where I found some tools locally, and since they had pen kits that's where i started as well. Since their in store selection is limited, or out of stock I was going to have to order online. I figured if I'm waiting for shipping anyways, I might as well check other places.

magpens

Welcome from a northern neighbor !!

In preference to the Sierra, I recommend the 30 Caliber Bolt Action as the absolute simplest pen to make because it looks really good with a straight barrel ... the Sierra needs to be bulged a little to look good, IMO.

Top Bottom