Hello from Southern California

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DutchPlatypus

Hi Everybody,

I want to leave a brief introduction here. I'm a Dutch guy living in Southern California. I love fountain pens and calligraphy and besides my small modest collection of store bought pens, I want to try my hands on making my own. As a mechanical engineer, I have used lathes and many other tools but I have never tried my hands on wood turning. I'm hoping to use the knowledge in this forum as guidance to find the right tools and materials to get me started successfully.

Best Regards,
Edwin van Doorn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

Welcome from Chicago!

There's a wealth of knowledge to find here and many helpful people included! Any questions you have or will have will get you answers when asked. Never be afraid to post! Check out the library for what materials you may need. There's articles there on the subject. (Top of the page menu bar, there's a button for library.) Also, a recent new member just posted regarding a supplies list asking what to buy. There's a lot of great discussion there.

liljohn1368

Welcome from Mississippi, Edwin. This is a good place to get knowledge about pen turning. This is a great group of folks.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Hello Edwin and welcome from NJ. All the way on the other coast:)

Have to say my sister-in-law is into calligraphy and has wanted me to make her a pen set with a stand of some sort. I have no idea what those pens even look like so maybe we can learn something together. I will put that on my to do list.

Hope you stick around and join in the fun. lots of knowledge and info spread throughout this site. Take some time and look around. Have fun.:)

JimB

Welcome from western New York State. There is lots of great info on here and many people who will be happy to answer any questions you have. Don't hesitate to post your questions.

RobS

Welcome from the back gate of Camp Pendelton my local North County San Diegan and fellow mechanical engineer.

Can't wait to see your fountain pens.

RobS

Last edited:

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Edwin !!!!

If you already have a metal-working lathe, it works great for pens, especially acrylic, horn, and antler ... also wood !

wfsteadman

Welcome from Colorado. This forum is awesome. Ask a question and you will receive many great answers and directions.

DutchPlatypus

Thank you

Thanks everyone for all your warm welcome wishes. I'm very excited to finally get my feet wet in this and I just got my first recommended book to start with the right tools. I will definitely reach out to everyone here for information because I love learning from experienced people to make my own experiments more successful.

Best Regards,
Edwin

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from a fellow engineer in Texas, Edwin.

You are already entered into a prize drawing for posting your Introduction. If you post a pen photo in the Show Off Your Pens (SOYP) forum within the next 60 days, you will also get into our SOYP drawing for new members.

bpgoldo

Ed, welcome brother and pass the wood chips from a fellow turner in Carlsbad, Ca. So Howdy neighbor.

MrPukaShell

Welcome. There are some great guys and gals in the San Diego Woodturners group. Give them a call and check out one of their meetings. I can pretty much guarantee that they have someone that will show you the ropes and get you started. Here is a link to their web site SDWT Home

Have fun on your adventure

ossaguy

Hi Ed, Welcome from next door in San Marcos! Let me know if you ever want to have a get together,I'd like to learn about Caligraphy & fountain pens.I second the suggestion on joining the SDWT,what a great group of folks.Their meetings are a lot of fun.

Steve

Top Bottom