Hello from South Georgia, USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Arnold

What a great site this is! I've been designing and building furniture for some years, but now I'm ready to explore other things. I bought a lathe a few years ago from a friend who was upgrading to a much more substantial unit. I've got a lot of turning tools also, but have only done some small chunks of scrap to practice a little. Recently, I started researching what I'd need to turn pens from the scrap I generate from other projects. I'm looking forward to reading through the information available here as well as making some inquiries along the way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ronhampton

welcome from middle west ga.:biggrin: it won't take you long to get over those scraps, when you get further along in this addiction.lol:bananen_smilies022: ron.

Daniel

Welcome Bill, you are not only at the right place to find out what you need, but you can get some of it here also. not only does the group purchase products at discounted prices. Posting messages about what you are looking to buy will often result in either finding another member that will part with one or finding the best price out there for it.

Bill Arnold

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I'll be posting a few questions soon and, with a little luck, eventually show you my first attempts at making some pens. While I've done a little research, I haven't purchased any tools specific to pen-making yet. I've got a good lineup of gouges, etc., but am sure I'll need some smaller versions for pens. Also, I see there are several different types of mandrels available.

I'm familiar with most of the vendors that cater to woodworking in general. A vendor I've used for some of my purchases over the years is MLCS/Penn State Industries. PSI seems to have a great variety of tools and kits. In fact, I almost ordered some items from them a couple of weeks ago, but decided to get some input from you guys first.

Thanks again!

Bill Arnold

Now I'm Torn...

"There are no wood scraps,just pen blanks waiting to be born"

Jay,

I like that attitude, but now I've got a problem. I've always used a fair amount of cherry and, when the "scraps" got too small, they went into a box for use in my smoker. Ribs and Boston butt are "right nice" when smoked with cherry wood! :wink:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Bill

Welcome from another Georgia turner.

Penn State has a great adjustable mandrel in my opinion. For some other specific "pen" type vendors, we have plenty of links here that can take you to some fine members who sell stuff, or you can find some group buys to get in on.

Robert

Bill Arnold

Bill

Welcome from another Georgia turner.

Penn State has a great adjustable mandrel in my opinion. For some other specific "pen" type vendors, we have plenty of links here that can take you to some fine members who sell stuff, or you can find some group buys to get in on.

Robert
Hi, Robert. If you're heading to south Georgia sometime, let me know.

I have the PSI mandrel. The same mandrel is available from a few other vendors -- they all use the same marketing photo. I ordered from PSI because they had a few other items at the right prices, also.

Bill Arnold

Hey Bill! Glad to have you in IAP. I'm up in Macon. Let me know if you ever head north.
If I ever head north? Hey -- don't want to get too close to them yankees! :eek:

Actually, I had intended to find out if the State Fair had any type of woodworking exhibits. Before moving from Florida, I exhibited some of my furniture at the State Fair in Tampa. Now that I'm finally getting more settled here, I need to find out about shows around this area. What's available within a reasonable drive from me?

Thanks for the welcome, by the way!!! :biggrin:

DocStram

Sorry, Bill .... I missed your reply. The Georgia National Fair is held in Perry. As a matter of fact, it's right around the corner ... October 2-12. There is a woodturning exhibit. Ask Rojo about it. He and his dad are going.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If I ever head north? Hey -- don't want to get too close to them yankees! :eek:

Actually, I had intended to find out if the State Fair had any type of woodworking exhibits. Before moving from Florida, I exhibited some of my furniture at the State Fair in Tampa. Now that I'm finally getting more settled here, I need to find out about shows around this area. What's available within a reasonable drive from me?

Thanks for the welcome, by the way!!! :biggrin:

Bill

Doc is absolutely correct! The Perry Fair is going to be open to the public from October 2nd to October 12th. If you Google Perry, Georgia Fair, you will get a link to their website. This year, the woodturners, and wood carvers are the majority of the woodworking categories. There is a basket making category this year, and when I was up submitting pieces for our carving club, and turning club, I saw some beautiful pieces of work, well worth going to look at.

The deadline for submitting work was September 1st by mail, which means you have to have your paperwork in by September 1st. The fair accepted the actual pieces of work on September 12th and 13th, which means you had to deliver your pieces to the fair by that time in order to display your works. There is a turning category at the Fair, which is entitled "working pieces", which means turned items that you can actually put to use, and PENS are a great way to get entered into this category. I do not work for the fair, but being in both the turner club and the carving club, I do a bunch of promotion for the event, and I actually help people who are unable to get their pieces of work down to the fair. Next years event will be a very published event, as I have taken it on as a way to get more visibility for both clubs, and now especially for the Southeast US IAP Chapter! If you visit the site and have any questions, give me a holler!

Robert

Last edited:

Bill Arnold

Bill

Doc is absolutely correct! The Perry Fair is going to be open to the public from October 2nd to October 12th. If you Google Perry, Georgia Fair, you will get a link to their website. ...
Robert,

Thank you for the additional information. I had already looked at the website and entry forms. I'll see what I can get together over the next year.

My wife and I are planning to drive up to Perry on October 11. There's a community yard sale in Valdosta starting at 7am on 10/11, so we'll run by there. Then, on to Perry for a while before heading back home.

:)

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Bill

Dang! I am going to miss you by one day. Have fun in Valdosta, that sounds like a pretty big sale. If anyone else is hanging around on Sunday, please stop by and say hello!

Robert

Top Bottom