Hello from Slovakia + first works

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

websterko

Hey guys hopefully i will find here in this usefull page anything that i need to improve.

by the way my first pens :)

Mahagon
padouk
Elm
Subfosile oak 7500y old

but i think am stacking with finish its hard to find exact supplies in local shops.

Attachments

• sss.jpg
    sss.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 209
  • sssssssssss.PNG
    sssssssssss.PNG
    497.9 KB · Views: 162
  • jilm.jpg
    jilm.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 170
  • file-6.jpg
    file-6.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Dominik

Nice pens - thanks for sharing. Be sure to post these or some other pens in the Show Off Your Pens Forum. We have a new member drawing each month from both the Introductions & the Show Off Your Pens forums, so you'll want to be sure you get into both drawings.

Edgar

DJBPenmaker

Welcome from the UK. Got a daughter in law from Slovakia [emoji106] by the way, nice pens.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Dominik.

Great wood and nice pens. You are doing great for first pens and I know that you are excited. These are better than my first few!

You did ask and I will pass on my observations - there are two things that may improve the pens:
It appears that I can see either turning (chisel) marks or course sand paper marks. I would guess chisel. That would suggest chisel needs sharpening. If it was sandpaper, finer sandpaper will take the marks out. Also, sand parallel to the lathe - or longways when the lathe is stopped.

If it is the chisel, very few people come into pen making with the ability to properly sharpen a chisel for turning pens. That usually comes later after they have turned several. :)

Another thing about the marks is that sometimes that is from the type of chisel used for the type of wood. If you don't have carbide inserts on a chisel then you will have to sharpen the chisel.
On softer grain woods - a skew does much better;
On harder woods, a skew will work good but a scraper will work better on very hard woods in general.

Hope this helps. Lots of great helpful people here with lots of experience!

websterko

Welcome Dominik.

Great wood and nice pens. You are doing great for first pens and I know that you are excited. These are better than my first few!

You did ask and I will pass on my observations - there are two things that may improve the pens:

It appears that I can see either turning (chisel) marks or course sand paper marks. I would guess chisel. That would suggest chisel needs sharpening. If it was sandpaper, finer sandpaper will take the marks out. Also, sand parallel to the lathe - or longways when the lathe is stopped.

If it is the chisel, very few people come into pen making with the ability to properly sharpen a chisel for turning pens. That usually comes later after they have turned several. :)

Another thing about the marks is that sometimes that is from the type of chisel used for the type of wood. If you don't have carbide inserts on a chisel then you will have to sharpen the chisel.

On softer grain woods - a skew does much better;

On harder woods, a skew will work good but a scraper will work better on very hard woods in general.

Hope this helps. Lots of great helpful people here with lots of experience!

hello :) thank you for advose and nice machine i jist today receive new lathe :) this first pen i made in smaaaal micro proxxon lathe :) i know about sharpening and all this staff :) we will see in new pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom