Hello from Singapore!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wongster

Hello folks,

First of all, I would like to thank Jeff for approving my request to join the forum.

I just started pen turning this week, with the arrival of the kit bundle for Gatsby Grande from Penn State Ind. All the blanks I bought are some kind of plastic.

The first one came out real nice. The second, wasted (chipped at ends during drilling and turning, and cracked when pressed), and the third was completed about 2 hours ago.

I did all the work on a Proxxon PD400, a metal lathe, and use my Wabeco mill as a press. I've 2 other machine in my home shop, which is a converted study in my little apartment; a Sherline CNC lathe with long bed, which is now residing under the work bench due to the lack of space, and a now almost an A2ZCNC Monster mill (converted from a Sherline. Only the table and motor mounts are Sherline's after the conversion).

I'm not a machinist or a technical person; by trade or training. Just a guy who loves to make and learn things along the way. So if I happen to ask a question or two, please take that as seeking knowledge and understanding, and not trying to challenge the poster.

Thank you for having me here. Huge resource for a newbie like me to chew on and digest.

Best regards,
Kyle Wong

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Kyle !!!! . The metal lathe will serve you well ... I have a similar one that I use all the time for pens.

Wongster

Thanks for or the warm welcome folks!

I've attached the pics of my very first 2 pens. The 3rd pic shows the blank that cracked when pressing in the hardware. Can this still be salvage filling the gap with CA glue and polish it back to shine?

Aquapearl Maroon Pearl - my very first. Easy material to work with.
38ACD23D-D4A9-46F1-A482-BEF0773D4F67_zpsgtvby39b.jpg

Cosmic Dark Bronze - easy to turn and drill.
7BE13368-611E-4E2A-9CA9-15F5C225482C_zpswyuxodfa.jpg

Acrylester Crushed Gold - chip every so often. Extremely loud when drilled.
6584883D-BCD9-4EBD-A242-E4C91F456688_zpsn8tufatd.jpg

Regards,
Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5970.jpg
    IMG_5970.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 111

Mr Vic

Kyle, Give the repair to #3 a try. Disassemble first and then use thin CA on the crack and clamp. You may have to redo the finish. It's worth the try and good practice. You might also be able to flip the blank so the clip is on that end and covering any crack that might show. May sure the inside of the blank is clean before trying to repress the components in.

Wongster

Kyle, Give the repair to #3 a try. Disassemble first and then use thin CA on the crack and clamp. You may have to redo the finish. It's worth the try and good practice. You might also be able to flip the blank so the clip is on that end and covering any crack that might show. May sure the inside of the blank is clean before trying to repress the components in.

When removing the tip coupler from #3, the edge chipped... real bad... I'll keep this for experimenting using the 4th axis to engrave names. Making the text standing out is another thing I'll research about.

OZturner

Welcome Kyle, from Sydney Australia.
Kyle, There is a Forum for "Showing Your Pens", this Forum may reach a larger, number of Members, to field the Questions and Assistance you are seeking, than the "Introduction Forum".
Brian.

Wongster

Welcome Kyle, from Sydney Australia.
Kyle, There is a Forum for "Showing Your Pens", this Forum may reach a larger, number of Members, to field the Questions and Assistance you are seeking, than the "Introduction Forum".
Brian.

Thanks and noted, Brian.

Posted here for continuity. Apologies. Will do so in the future.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Another welcome from MS.

Singapore, been there a few times. I spent a month there in '06 and really enjoyed it. First time I visited Singapore (1994), I got on a subway and saw a sign that said "No Durians Allowed". :biggrin: I wondered "What is a 'Durian?" My friend laughed and then took me to eat some durian. It was interesting!

Enjoy making pens!

Wongster

Thanks Hank. I'm not a fan of durians myself. My wife and younger daughter love it. I stay away when they are eating them.

Top Bottom