Hello from Perth, Western Australia!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simsonicole

Hi Guys. I am a newbie from Perth, Western Australia. I work in a repair shop, so have access to some pretty neat toys. When told I could make pens if I wanted to...I thought "Why not?" :)

Been making pens since the start of 2015. I have made about 10 pens in total. Mainly wood and started on the acrylic about 3 weeks ago. Having a fair bit of fun with them and happy to take any tips, tricks & advice available.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Nicole. Glad to have you aboard.
You'll find lots of help here & answers to any questions you might have.
There are a number of great tutorials in the library and Ed Brown has some excellent videos at the ExoticBlanks.com web site.

Simsonicole

Went and had a look around at the Exotic Blanks web site...wow. So many things to try but worried that I may stuff my technique up. They have a video with the gluing of the tube and there is no way I can use up that much time putting the glue in...my glue would have been set. I generally have to glue it up and get it in asap...so curious as to the grade and type of glue he used. Any ideas?

BSea

Welcome from Arkansas!

I agree with Ratty. I use 5 minute epoxy. If I use CA, I'll only use thick. And make sure your blanks are cool before glueing. The heat from drilling a blank will make CA cure faster.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Nicole ! Use epoxy (5 minute or 10 minute) for tube gluing is my advice. Rough the tube surface first.

Simsonicole

I use a lot of the 5 min epoxy adhesives at work...so will bring some home to try! Thanks guys.

Having another issue...my first few acrylics came up smooth as with just the turning...micro mesh sanding and a bit of plastic polish and they came up a treat! Got the hubby to sharpen my chisel, and now I keep getting a lot of 'chunking out' happening. Any ideas guys as getting very frustrated? :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Having another issue...my first few acrylics came up smooth as with just the turning...micro mesh sanding and a bit of plastic polish and they came up a treat! Got the hubby to sharpen my chisel, and now I keep getting a lot of 'chunking out' happening. Any ideas guys as getting very frustrated? :)

I'll place another vote for the epoxy (although I will actually let it sit overnight).

Ideas:... Yup! Slow down on your expectations. You are getting useful tool skills through evaluating your failures and successes. Be patient with your development, it will get better, and the more you can practice on "scrap material" will only make you a better turner.

Sharp chisels are needed and are important, but they will act different in your hands. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh... HAVE FUN!

Welcome to IAP.

PenPal

Welcome to IAP, Nicole ! Use epoxy (5 minute or 10 minute) for tube gluing is my advice. Rough the tube surface first.

Most of my kits came from Pen State...the tubes in them already seem to have a rough surface. It that rough enough or are you talking rougher? :)

I use Gorilla Glue cause I glue up a number at a time leave the top off and dip with a round stick it swells so check sometimes the glue pushes the brass out a bit it can be pushed back early on. I rough the brass holding the tube on a nail punch.

The fact so many people in America seem unaware you are in the heart of some of the most outstanding timbers in the world burls like grasshoppers everywhere. Join a Wood group they will give you the clues where to buy.

WE have Timberbits for pen kits out of Sydney David runs a beaut service enjoyed around the world several east coast suppliers.

Go get em girl.

Peter.

Simsonicole

Most of my kits came from Pen State...the tubes in them already seem to have a rough surface. It that rough enough or are you talking rougher? :)

I use Gorilla Glue cause I glue up a number at a time leave the top off and dip with a round stick it swells so check sometimes the glue pushes the brass out a bit it can be pushed back early on. I rough the brass holding the tube on a nail punch.

The fact so many people in America seem unaware you are in the heart of some of the most outstanding timbers in the world burls like grasshoppers everywhere. Join a Wood group they will give you the clues where to buy.

WE have Timberbits for pen kits out of Sydney David runs a beaut service enjoyed around the world several east coast suppliers.

Go get em girl.

Peter.

Just checked them out Peter...thanks :) They actually look pretty good on their prices too. With the Aussie dollar being so weak against the US dollar at the moment, buying from the US works out quite a bit dearer. Know of any others in Aus?

Bob Wemm

Hi Nicole,
Welcome from Kalbarri, just up the road a bit.
Besides Timberbits (the best), you can buy kits and blanks from Carbatec in Balcatta.
If you buy $200?? from Timberbits they post for free. Makes the prices real good, and their kits are good.
The Sandpaperman in Qld also sells kits and Gary Pye does also, he's in Qld as well.

Cheers,
Bob.

magpens

That's plenty rough enough ... better than you can do with sandpaper or a file.

I use 5 minute epoxy (araldite is one brand name) and never wait more than 10 minutes before I start to turn.

boof910

Welcome from the Pilbara Nicole.
There are several great kit suppliers in Oz but certainly can't go passed Timberbits. Great range, awesome service and super quick delivery even to the opposite side of the country!

Simsonicole

Hi Nicole,
Welcome from Kalbarri, just up the road a bit.
Besides Timberbits (the best), you can buy kits and blanks from Carbatec in Balcatta.
If you buy $200?? from Timberbits they post for free. Makes the prices real good, and their kits are good.
The Sandpaperman in Qld also sells kits and Gary Pye does also, he's in Qld as well.

Cheers,
Bob.

Hi Bob! Haha...thanks :) Already a regular at Carbatec as they are just down the road from me. Will check out the others :) My lathe is a Carbatec one.

Top Bottom