Hello Pen Turners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray1955

I just received a Shop Fox as a Christmas present as I have been talking about turning pens and some other things. Like razor handles etc.....

I did see the paperwork for starting out but it really doesn't actually tell you for starting out what you need.

For instance, Barrel Trimmer, Mandrels A 7mm (majority of stuff)
60degree live center?????

CA glue and spray activator

are barrels sold separate?////
Where have you found good starter kits ie.....blanks and hardware.

thanks - Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Ray, there are numerous threads about getting started, I'm sure someone will post the links.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the barrel trimmer or mandrel. Get or make a sanding disc for your lathe for trimming. Get a 60* live and dead center. You can turn between centers using standard or better yet dedicated TBC bushings (or, no bushings at all, if you have calipers).

I would start out with a Sierra type kit (Gatsby, Wallstreet, etc.). They are single barrels pens that are forgiving and easy to assemble. They are also perceived as "higher end" pens that the usual Slimlines that newbies start with.

There are many sources for kits and blanks. My first choice is usually www.exoticblanks.com.

Regards,
Michael

PS: Welcome!

More4dan

Welcome from Katy, TX. Ditto what Michael said above. After turning between centers, my mandrel just collects dust. Talk to someone about the right cutting tools, I started with a small cheap set I thought would be good enough and have been disappointed. I use a carbide cutter now.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JimB

Welcome from western NY State!

There are a number of vendors you can get supplies from. Check out the vendor section here on IAP. They are lol good to deal with. Also, for a store you can walk into, see if there is a Woodcraft or Rockler near you. They both also have websites. The two biggest online vendors (not in the vendor section here) are Craft Supply USA (CSUSA) and Penn State Industries (PSI). Get on their email lists and get their catalogs. PSI also has a free pen turning DVD they will ship to you.

TonyL

Welcome. Dan Masshardt assembled a very comprehensive list.Try searching within the IAP for it.

Ray1955

Thank you

Thank you for those that responded I enjoyed and will reread......

I would like to turn my first pen like soon. I got a mini Shop Fox from my son in law for Christmas.

Ray:)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

jttheclockman

There you go Ray. Better you start your own thread to get more complete answers. Welcome again to the site and take your time looking around. This place is packed with knowledge and stored info. To get you started as I posted in the other thread, here is a good link as well as the ones people suggested. Good luck and happy turning. Any questions you have just post away and they will be answered for sure.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/list-items-142449/

Top Bottom